The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Detachable base ruling and over thrown ball

ASA rules:

R1 on first, B2 hits a base hit, R1 advances to second base, slides, and takes the detachable base with him, which places the base about 4 feet from where it should be. Runner is called safe on the bang bang play. The ball drops out of F4's glove, but I called time.

My PU brings me to a conference and said not to call time in the chance that the runner wished to advance to third.

Here's my logic, as the base was not in the correct spot, R2 would have either tried to step on the anchor (safety hazard) or went to the location of the misplaced bag.

What would you all do in that situation? I am trying to learn the correct call, as I am still a rookie.

Also, no one on ,B2 hits a blooper to the right infield, F4 throws to F3, who misses and the ball goes into the dug out. Time is called, PU awards the runner third. He was on his way to first and that was it.

I thought that in ASA, if a ball is thrown into a dead ball area, on an errant throw, only the base the runner was on the way to, plus one was awarded?

What's the call?

Thanks everyone

Last edited by BillM.; Sun Jun 03, 2012 at 12:29pm.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

If you have sloppy lose bags, cover in the ground rules that if one gets dislodged- just run where it used to be.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM. View Post
ASA rules:

R1 on first, B2 hits a base hit, R1 advances to second base, slides, and takes the detachable base with him, which places the base about 4 feet from where it should be. Runner is called safe on the bang bang play. The ball drops out of F4's glove, but I called time.

My PU brings me to a conference and said not to call time in the chance that the runner wished to advance to third.

Here's my logic, as the base was not in the correct spot, R2 would have either tried to step on the anchor (safety hazard) or went to the location of the misplaced bag.

What would you all do in that situation? I am trying to learn the correct call, as I am still a rookie.
Your partner is correct. Wait for the play to come to a conclusion then cal time. The rules concerning a Dislodged Base are listed in the Index under Dislodged Base. Note: the reference for 8.4 if J not I.

Quote:
Also, no one on ,B2 hits a blooper to the right infield, F4 throws to F3, who misses and the ball goes into the dug out. Time is called, PU awards the runner third. He was on his way to first and that was it.

I thought that in ASA, if a ball is thrown into a dead ball area, on an errant throw, only the base the runner was on the way to, plus one was awarded?
No, that is wrong. The award is two bases from the runner's position at the time the throw was made (released).
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ASA rules:

R1 on first, B2 hits a base hit, R1 advances to second base, slides, and takes the detachable base with him,
Would that be scored as a "stolen base"?
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
Only in the NCAA
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
Hhahah I caught that joke
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Brings back memories of working in the country for a men's fast pitch league and a couple of times having bases that were potato sacks filled with straw.
"Out of play is from the bat bag behind home plate to the big pine tree to the left of 3rd base, etc." Fun times.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't think of it as "base on the way to, plus one". It's two bases from the time of the throw. The only consideration is the location of the runner at the time of the throw leaves the thrower's hand.

If the BR has not yet reached 1B then the award would be two bases: 1B and 2B.

If the BR has rounded 1B (and had now become a runner) and defense throws trying to get her moving back to 1B the award is still two bases. Since this runner was past 1B when the throw was released the two bases awarded are 2B and 3B.

Nobody will say a word about the first example but many people will squeal in the second example.. you will hear "one base on an overthrow blue!" which is of course one of the famous softball myths.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the clarification everyone. I'll agree, I also thought it was one base on the overthrow. Goodness... I suppose umping is a job where you learn every day!
Old Sun Jun 03, 2012, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

This misconception persists because most of the time it looks like to the casual bystander that one base is what we are awarding. They are incorrectly assuming that the batter-runner already had the first base and indeed she usually does by the time the ball goes out of play. But that first base is part of the two bases being awarded.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie View Post
This misconception persists because most of the time it looks like to the casual bystander that one base is what we are awarding. They are incorrectly assuming that the batter-runner already had the first base and indeed she usually does by the time the ball goes out of play. But that first base is part of the two bases being awarded.
It also persists since that is how the USSSA rule book reads (or, at least, used to read).
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNDALKCHOPPER View Post
If you have sloppy lose bags, cover in the ground rules that if one gets dislodged- just run where it used to be.
Instead of ground rules, I suggest you use ASA rules (which don't exactly match your invented ground rule).

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
It also persists since that is how the USSSA rule book reads (or, at least, used to read).
Slow pitch. Not fast pitch. Fast pitch overthrow rules are the same as ASA. I'm not sure if it USED to always be that way, but I know it has been for at least 2 years.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.