The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Detachable base ruling and over thrown ball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/91520-detachable-base-ruling-over-thrown-ball.html)

BillM. Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:19pm

Detachable base ruling and over thrown ball

ASA rules:

R1 on first, B2 hits a base hit, R1 advances to second base, slides, and takes the detachable base with him, which places the base about 4 feet from where it should be. Runner is called safe on the bang bang play. The ball drops out of F4's glove, but I called time.

My PU brings me to a conference and said not to call time in the chance that the runner wished to advance to third.

Here's my logic, as the base was not in the correct spot, R2 would have either tried to step on the anchor (safety hazard) or went to the location of the misplaced bag.

What would you all do in that situation? I am trying to learn the correct call, as I am still a rookie.

Also, no one on ,B2 hits a blooper to the right infield, F4 throws to F3, who misses and the ball goes into the dug out. Time is called, PU awards the runner third. He was on his way to first and that was it.

I thought that in ASA, if a ball is thrown into a dead ball area, on an errant throw, only the base the runner was on the way to, plus one was awarded?

What's the call?

Thanks everyone

DUNDALKCHOPPER Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:28pm

If you have sloppy lose bags, cover in the ground rules that if one gets dislodged- just run where it used to be.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jun 03, 2012 02:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillM. (Post 844585)
ASA rules:

R1 on first, B2 hits a base hit, R1 advances to second base, slides, and takes the detachable base with him, which places the base about 4 feet from where it should be. Runner is called safe on the bang bang play. The ball drops out of F4's glove, but I called time.

My PU brings me to a conference and said not to call time in the chance that the runner wished to advance to third.

Here's my logic, as the base was not in the correct spot, R2 would have either tried to step on the anchor (safety hazard) or went to the location of the misplaced bag.

What would you all do in that situation? I am trying to learn the correct call, as I am still a rookie.

Your partner is correct. Wait for the play to come to a conclusion then cal time. The rules concerning a Dislodged Base are listed in the Index under Dislodged Base. Note: the reference for 8.4 if J not I.

Quote:

Also, no one on ,B2 hits a blooper to the right infield, F4 throws to F3, who misses and the ball goes into the dug out. Time is called, PU awards the runner third. He was on his way to first and that was it.

I thought that in ASA, if a ball is thrown into a dead ball area, on an errant throw, only the base the runner was on the way to, plus one was awarded?
No, that is wrong. The award is two bases from the runner's position at the time the throw was made (released).

tcannizzo Sun Jun 03, 2012 03:28pm

Quote:

ASA rules:

R1 on first, B2 hits a base hit, R1 advances to second base, slides, and takes the detachable base with him,

Would that be scored as a "stolen base"? :eek:

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jun 03, 2012 03:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcannizzo (Post 844597)

Only in the NCAA

BillM. Sun Jun 03, 2012 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcannizzo (Post 844597)

Hhahah I caught that joke

SWFLguy Sun Jun 03, 2012 05:05pm

Brings back memories of working in the country for a men's fast pitch league and a couple of times having bases that were potato sacks filled with straw.
"Out of play is from the bat bag behind home plate to the big pine tree to the left of 3rd base, etc." Fun times.

UmpireErnie Sun Jun 03, 2012 05:37pm

Quote:

Don't think of it as "base on the way to, plus one". It's two bases from the time of the throw. The only consideration is the location of the runner at the time of the throw leaves the thrower's hand.

If the BR has not yet reached 1B then the award would be two bases: 1B and 2B.

If the BR has rounded 1B (and had now become a runner) and defense throws trying to get her moving back to 1B the award is still two bases. Since this runner was past 1B when the throw was released the two bases awarded are 2B and 3B.

Nobody will say a word about the first example but many people will squeal in the second example.. you will hear "one base on an overthrow blue!" which is of course one of the famous softball myths.

BillM. Sun Jun 03, 2012 08:30pm

Thanks for the clarification everyone. I'll agree, I also thought it was one base on the overthrow. Goodness... I suppose umping is a job where you learn every day!

UmpireErnie Sun Jun 03, 2012 08:41pm

This misconception persists because most of the time it looks like to the casual bystander that one base is what we are awarding. They are incorrectly assuming that the batter-runner already had the first base and indeed she usually does by the time the ball goes out of play. But that first base is part of the two bases being awarded.

Dakota Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpireErnie (Post 844626)
This misconception persists because most of the time it looks like to the casual bystander that one base is what we are awarding. They are incorrectly assuming that the batter-runner already had the first base and indeed she usually does by the time the ball goes out of play. But that first base is part of the two bases being awarded.

It also persists since that is how the USSSA rule book reads (or, at least, used to read).

MD Longhorn Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DUNDALKCHOPPER (Post 844586)
If you have sloppy lose bags, cover in the ground rules that if one gets dislodged- just run where it used to be.

Instead of ground rules, I suggest you use ASA rules (which don't exactly match your invented ground rule).

LIUmp Mon Jun 04, 2012 05:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 844709)
It also persists since that is how the USSSA rule book reads (or, at least, used to read).

Slow pitch. Not fast pitch. Fast pitch overthrow rules are the same as ASA. I'm not sure if it USED to always be that way, but I know it has been for at least 2 years.