The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 2,672
WCWS Umpires

Is there anywhere that the umpires are listed for each game?

They don't appear to be listed in the box scores on the NCAA site.
__________________
It's what you learn after you think you know it all that's important!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Woodstock, GA; Atlanta area
Posts: 2,822
On the NCAA site, select the bracket view, then click on the game. It will allow you to go to Gametracker; Game Summary, Pregame, will list the working umpires.

Game 1 today was Christie Cornwell P, Chad Stears U1, Willie Newman U3. Current game is Kevin Davis P, Geri Magwire U1, Steve McCown U3.
__________________
Steve
ASA/ISF/NCAA/NFHS/PGF
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 08:32am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Pace, FL
Posts: 653
Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
On the NCAA site, select the bracket view, then click on the game. It will allow you to go to Gametracker; Game Summary, Pregame, will list the working umpires.

Game 1 today was Christie Cornwell P, Chad Stears U1, Willie Newman U3. Current game is Kevin Davis P, Geri Magwire U1, Steve McCown U3.
Good to see Chad in the WCWS. He was starting out in ASA Summer Ball in LA when my DD was 14. He was only about 20 years old himself. I told him after every game that he was the best umpire in LA and warned him not to let the other guys drag him down to their level. He's "the biggest little man on the field."
__________________
Larry
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
Good to see Chad in the WCWS. He was starting out in ASA Summer Ball in LA when my DD was 14. He was only about 20 years old himself. I told him after every game that he was the best umpire in LA and warned him not to let the other guys drag him down to their level. He's "the biggest little man on the field."
He just had a great game behind the plate in a 1-0 LSU/USF elimination game.
Had at least three three batter hitting ball (or being hit by the ball) calls in the game.....the last of them on a USF batter to end the game and eliminate USF.
LSU/USF HC's may have had a question, but no arguments (even on the last one) or crew huddles; he was on top of all of them. Had a good zone throughout a game that only had four hits between the two teams.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
He just had a great game behind the plate in a 1-0 LSU/USF elimination game.
Had at least three three batter hitting ball (or being hit by the ball) calls in the game.....the last of them on a USF batter to end the game and eliminate USF.
LSU/USF HC's may have had a question, but no arguments (even on the last one) or crew huddles; he was on top of all of them. Had a good zone throughout a game that only had four hits between the two teams.
On the replay of the final out, it appears the ball hits the bat a second time while the batter is still in the box, before she kicks it when she is up the line and called out. Probably pretty difficult to see on the field, though.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 350
Saw him work the UT/Alabama game in Tuscaloosa with Craig Hyde (D1 Super this year). Seemed to do a good job. Picked up a couple things from his game. Only thing I didn't really like was he had a pair of the new New Balance plate shoes and the white N and MLB logos were visable. College evaluators have always told me solid black and have been rather psyco about it.

Is there no rule about calling schools from you home conference at the WCWS? He was U3 last night for the Alabama/ASU game (I think)...had a good game but I was surprised he was there since he is on staff w/ SEC.
__________________
If it's a foul on that end, IT'S GOTTA BE A FOUL ON THIS END!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
Saw him work the UT/Alabama game in Tuscaloosa with Craig Hyde (D1 Super this year). Seemed to do a good job. Picked up a couple things from his game. Only thing I didn't really like was he had a pair of the new New Balance plate shoes and the white N and MLB logos were visable. College evaluators have always told me solid black and have been rather psyco about it.

Is there no rule about calling schools from you home conference at the WCWS? He was U3 last night for the Alabama/ASU game (I think)...had a good game but I was surprised he was there since he is on staff w/ SEC.
No there is not.
The umpires selection for the WCWS are made prior to the Super Regionals so there is no way of knowing which conferences will be in the final eight. Also many umpires at that level work multiple major DI conferences.

I guess the plate shoes weren't a career ender.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdump47 View Post
On the replay of the final out, it appears the ball hits the bat a second time while the batter is still in the box, before she kicks it when she is up the line and called out. Probably pretty difficult to see on the field, though.
Just watched the replay.....could not tell for sure if he killed it on the second hit on the bat or the kick.....good job selling it though.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Twin Cities MN
Posts: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
...so there is no way of knowing which conference or maybe 2 will have a token team after the PAC12, SEC, and Big 12 take 2 or 3 each to complete the final eight.
There. Fixed it for you.
__________________
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
There. Fixed it for you.
Thanks.....you nailed it!

Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Just watched the replay.....could not tell for sure if he killed it on the second hit on the bat or the kick.....good job selling it though.
Saw the same thing on replay. He did sell it, and didn't get any complaints because of HOW he worked today.

Very decisive, very much in control, very consistent, very sharp. A great job by him.
__________________
ASA, NCAA, PONY, USSSA Fastpitch, NYSSO Umpire


As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WCWS Umpires 2012 derwil Softball 13 Wed May 30, 2012 06:04am
wcws ump ronald Softball 14 Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:00am
Florida head coach accuses umpires of cheating his team at WCWS UmpireErnie Softball 49 Mon Jun 07, 2010 07:34am
WCWS Umpires? Dholloway1962 Softball 33 Mon May 18, 2009 11:47am
WCWS - Umpires PublicBJ Softball 10 Wed Jun 15, 2005 08:08am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1