The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

WCWS Umpires

Is there anywhere that the umpires are listed for each game?

They don't appear to be listed in the box scores on the NCAA site.
Old Thu May 31, 2012, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

On the NCAA site, select the bracket view, then click on the game. It will allow you to go to Gametracker; Game Summary, Pregame, will list the working umpires.

Game 1 today was Christie Cornwell P, Chad Stears U1, Willie Newman U3. Current game is Kevin Davis P, Geri Magwire U1, Steve McCown U3.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
On the NCAA site, select the bracket view, then click on the game. It will allow you to go to Gametracker; Game Summary, Pregame, will list the working umpires.

Game 1 today was Christie Cornwell P, Chad Stears U1, Willie Newman U3. Current game is Kevin Davis P, Geri Magwire U1, Steve McCown U3.
Good to see Chad in the WCWS. He was starting out in ASA Summer Ball in LA when my DD was 14. He was only about 20 years old himself. I told him after every game that he was the best umpire in LA and warned him not to let the other guys drag him down to their level. He's "the biggest little man on the field."
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
Good to see Chad in the WCWS. He was starting out in ASA Summer Ball in LA when my DD was 14. He was only about 20 years old himself. I told him after every game that he was the best umpire in LA and warned him not to let the other guys drag him down to their level. He's "the biggest little man on the field."
He just had a great game behind the plate in a 1-0 LSU/USF elimination game.
Had at least three three batter hitting ball (or being hit by the ball) calls in the game.....the last of them on a USF batter to end the game and eliminate USF.
LSU/USF HC's may have had a question, but no arguments (even on the last one) or crew huddles; he was on top of all of them. Had a good zone throughout a game that only had four hits between the two teams.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
He just had a great game behind the plate in a 1-0 LSU/USF elimination game.
Had at least three three batter hitting ball (or being hit by the ball) calls in the game.....the last of them on a USF batter to end the game and eliminate USF.
LSU/USF HC's may have had a question, but no arguments (even on the last one) or crew huddles; he was on top of all of them. Had a good zone throughout a game that only had four hits between the two teams.
On the replay of the final out, it appears the ball hits the bat a second time while the batter is still in the box, before she kicks it when she is up the line and called out. Probably pretty difficult to see on the field, though.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Saw him work the UT/Alabama game in Tuscaloosa with Craig Hyde (D1 Super this year). Seemed to do a good job. Picked up a couple things from his game. Only thing I didn't really like was he had a pair of the new New Balance plate shoes and the white N and MLB logos were visable. College evaluators have always told me solid black and have been rather psyco about it.

Is there no rule about calling schools from you home conference at the WCWS? He was U3 last night for the Alabama/ASU game (I think)...had a good game but I was surprised he was there since he is on staff w/ SEC.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
Saw him work the UT/Alabama game in Tuscaloosa with Craig Hyde (D1 Super this year). Seemed to do a good job. Picked up a couple things from his game. Only thing I didn't really like was he had a pair of the new New Balance plate shoes and the white N and MLB logos were visable. College evaluators have always told me solid black and have been rather psyco about it.

Is there no rule about calling schools from you home conference at the WCWS? He was U3 last night for the Alabama/ASU game (I think)...had a good game but I was surprised he was there since he is on staff w/ SEC.
No there is not.
The umpires selection for the WCWS are made prior to the Super Regionals so there is no way of knowing which conferences will be in the final eight. Also many umpires at that level work multiple major DI conferences.

I guess the plate shoes weren't a career ender.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdump47 View Post
On the replay of the final out, it appears the ball hits the bat a second time while the batter is still in the box, before she kicks it when she is up the line and called out. Probably pretty difficult to see on the field, though.
Just watched the replay.....could not tell for sure if he killed it on the second hit on the bat or the kick.....good job selling it though.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...so there is no way of knowing which conference or maybe 2 will have a token team after the PAC12, SEC, and Big 12 take 2 or 3 each to complete the final eight.
There. Fixed it for you.
Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
There. Fixed it for you.
Thanks.....you nailed it!

Old Sat Jun 02, 2012, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just watched the replay.....could not tell for sure if he killed it on the second hit on the bat or the kick.....good job selling it though.
Saw the same thing on replay. He did sell it, and didn't get any complaints because of HOW he worked today.

Very decisive, very much in control, very consistent, very sharp. A great job by him.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.