Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Mike,

(snip)
(Wanna make it weirder? What if R1 from third contacts the bat before the ball gets there?)

Obstruction on R1?????
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mike,

If this batter is smart enough to put her bat in the path of the ball with the intent to hit the ball ... suppose she's also smart enough to watch the pitch as she's running and leap into the air just before the ball strikes the bat.

Yes, WAY TWP ... but you started it! I have a base hit in this situation.
No, great question. And by the exact wording of the rule, there is no out to be had here, assuming the umpire is going to see the leap and be able to watch the ball at the same time

Quote:
(Wanna make it weirder? What if R1 from third contacts the bat before the ball gets there?)
Depends. If no contact between bat and ball, it is a stolen base.
Now comes the hard part. You cannot have an offensive player obs a batter. What would you do if R1 was stealing home with the B still in the BB, R1 clips batter who falls and the bat hits the pitch?
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Old Tue May 29, 2012, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post

Like we need TWP to get to that point!!!
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Like we need TWP to get to that point!!!
twp =?

thanks
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, great question. And by the exact wording of the rule, there is no out to be had here, assuming the umpire is going to see the leap and be able to watch the ball at the same time
Here is one umpire that will determine the entire foot was on the ground at the time of contact. Because, in my opinion, the "exact wording" isn't intended to allow what is being discussed, it is intended to describe and clarify that out of the box doesn't include a foot still partially in, nor a foot that hasn't yet landed.

Every standard rule application relating to use of lines says you are 1) where your foot is currently on the ground, 2) if your foot is in the air, it is where it was last on the ground, and 3) you can re-establish a new location when one foot touches back in and the other foot then comes down after being in the air. There is NO WAY the intent of the wording regarding contacting the ball while out of the box contemplates allowing a batter to run forward with feet completely out of the box, jump in the air and contact the ball, then land with feet completely out of the box. Forget this third world dropping the bat discussion, are you allowing a slapper to do what I described on an eefus change up, and saying this is a legally batted ball??

Me, I have the batter out of the box, that's what I saw.
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Every standard rule application relating to use of lines says you are 2) if your foot is in the air, it is where it was last on the ground, and 3) you can re-establish a new location when one foot touches back in and the other foot then comes down after being in the air.
Admittedly we're talking extreme twp here... however, I do not believe your assertions (2) and (3) above to be correct. In fact, I can think of no other rule in this sport that treats in or out of anything as you describe. Further, I can remember numerous clinics where the phrase, "this isn't basketball" is spoken in relation to such "in and out" of the lines discussions. In basketball, you are in or out... in baseball/softball - there is a third option - neither.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Admittedly we're talking extreme twp here... however, I do not believe your assertions (2) and (3) above to be correct. In fact, I can think of no other rule in this sport that treats in or out of anything as you describe. Further, I can remember numerous clinics where the phrase, "this isn't basketball" is spoken in relation to such "in and out" of the lines discussions. In basketball, you are in or out... in baseball/softball - there is a third option - neither.
Check definitions of a catch/no catch as relates to in play/out of play/catch and carry.

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Tue May 29, 2012 at 01:40pm.
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
twp =? thanks
third world play good thing the pc police do not peruse this board. we would be on the news
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Check definitions of a catch/no catch as relates to in play/out of play/catch and carry.
ditto. and case plays use this exact language in describing plays.
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Depends. If no contact between bat and ball, it is a stolen base.
Now comes the hard part. You cannot have an offensive player obs a batter. What would you do if R1 was stealing home with the B still in the BB, R1 clips batter who falls and the bat hits the pitch?
Batted ball, play ball...fair or foul, ......caught or not caught.
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Amazing that a post put in to win a 1 beer bet, has crated 4 pages and I knew the answer and was proving a point to one of my 'young guns'. This board is AWESOME