Thread: Dropped Pitch
View Single Post
Old Tue May 29, 2012, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
No, great question. And by the exact wording of the rule, there is no out to be had here, assuming the umpire is going to see the leap and be able to watch the ball at the same time
Here is one umpire that will determine the entire foot was on the ground at the time of contact. Because, in my opinion, the "exact wording" isn't intended to allow what is being discussed, it is intended to describe and clarify that out of the box doesn't include a foot still partially in, nor a foot that hasn't yet landed.

Every standard rule application relating to use of lines says you are 1) where your foot is currently on the ground, 2) if your foot is in the air, it is where it was last on the ground, and 3) you can re-establish a new location when one foot touches back in and the other foot then comes down after being in the air. There is NO WAY the intent of the wording regarding contacting the ball while out of the box contemplates allowing a batter to run forward with feet completely out of the box, jump in the air and contact the ball, then land with feet completely out of the box. Forget this third world dropping the bat discussion, are you allowing a slapper to do what I described on an eefus change up, and saying this is a legally batted ball??

Me, I have the batter out of the box, that's what I saw.