The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 25, 2005, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

This has come up several times and I can't find reference in the books:

Strike three swung on a pitch in the dirt. Catcher catches it "clean" on a hop. I've always interpreted this to be a catch and not a dropped third strike, under the simple premise that the catcher did not drop the ball but caught it on the original delivery.

Thoughts....?
Old Sat Jun 25, 2005, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mista Bone
This has come up several times and I can't find reference in the books:

Strike three swung on a pitch in the dirt. Catcher catches it "clean" on a hop. I've always interpreted this to be a catch and not a dropped third strike, under the simple premise that the catcher did not drop the ball but caught it on the original delivery.

Thoughts....?
This is not a catch. How can it be a "clean" catch on a hop? Please check rule book definition of "catch".
Old Sat Jun 25, 2005, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Part of your problem is you are thinking of the term literally "Dropped" third strike. When actually the rulebook term is a third strike not caught (or uncaught third strike). A ball can never be considered "caught" once it has hit the ground so therefore a strike three that hops into the catchers mitt is an uncaught third strike, batter may try for first (as long as it isn't occupied or there are two out).

-Josh
Old Sat Jun 25, 2005, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Golly,

How many times?
Old Sat Jun 25, 2005, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

At least once more
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Question Re: Golly,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
How many times?
Tim C:
What is the meaning of your response?
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Re: Re: Golly,

Quote:
Originally posted by U of M Sam
Quote:
How many times?
Tim C:
He means that the question has been asked 20-30 times before. He means that he is tired of seeing the same questions asked over and over by umpires too lazy to do some study on their own.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Golly,

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Lyle
Quote:
Originally posted by U of M Sam
Quote:
How many times?
Tim C:
He means that the question has been asked 20-30 times before. He means that he is tired of seeing the same questions asked over and over by umpires too lazy to do some study on their own.
Fair enough.
I am glad I read my rule book(s)
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Once again, I registered with this site yesterday and found no reference to this rule. I am far from being too lazy to do my homework. I have read the rulebook repeatedly and I have seen this called both ways, by lots of umpires, at different levels.

If my question bores you, don't bother to respond. If there is a better website to reference than this one, I'd appreciate the links.

Typical umpire arrogance, though, so I'm not surprised.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

I found it in the book - thanks for the help

Alright, I'll eat a plate of crow, here. After the post, I grabbed the rulebook and an old study guide I had from 10 years ago. I found this "easy" one at 6.05 (b) in the explanatory paragraph.

My apologies for the arrogance comment. Your frustration with this one is justified. I swear I've read sections 6, 7 and 8 5 times this summer but that never stuck with me.

I'd still appreciate any links to good sites with FAQs, etc., or a good book that goes into more situational detail than the official book.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Re: I found it in the book - thanks for the help

Quote:
Alright, I'll eat a plate of crow, here. After the post, I grabbed the rulebook and an old study guide I had from 10 years ago. I found this "easy" one at 6.05 (b) in the explanatory paragraph.

My apologies for the arrogance comment. Your frustration with this one is justified. I swear I've read sections 6, 7 and 8 5 times this summer but that never stuck with me.

I'd still appreciate any links to good sites with FAQs, etc., or a good book that goes into more situational detail than the official book.
http://www.rulesofbaseball.com/ebooks/rde.html

http://shop.officiating.com/x/product/brd2005

Get both books.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Try reading the DEFINITIONS section of your rule book.

Bob
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

New umpires I always teach:

1st -learn (don't just study) all of the definitions until you can nearly quote them verbatim.

2nd - always be careful to read all of the little footnotes, additions and other small print - usually that's something that was added later or a change from the large print.

but I'll agree with you, sometimes its hard to find things in a rule book no matter how hard you try.

Thanks
David
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Definitions section is definitely the most underrated section of the book.