The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Can the base path be re-established?

We all know that the base path is established by the runner and at the time a tag is being attempted. Now in a run down between bases (AKA a "pickle") is the base path re-established each time a new attempt at a tag is made? Suppose R1 rounds 2nd and is 5 feet outside the BASE LINE when F6 attempts a tag. She is heading toward third when this occurs so her BASE PATH is, oh let's say a 20 degree angle to third. F6 throws to F5. R1 now turns around and is heading back toward 2nd and she is heading straight toward 2nd. F5 throws to F6 who attempts a tag. Now the runner's BASE PATH has been re-established and is a straight line to 2nd. The BASE PATH and BASE LINE coincide at this time. Also, they are only out if the run outside the path to avoid a tag. If the run outside to avoid a fielder who is not in possession of the ball we don't have an out. We have obstruction.

Anyone disagree with any of the above?

Rule citations would be helpful!
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
We all know that the base path is established by the runner and at the time a tag is being attempted. Now in a run down between bases (AKA a "pickle") is the base path re-established each time a new attempt at a tag is made? Suppose R1 rounds 2nd and is 5 feet outside the BASE LINE when F6 attempts a tag. She is heading toward third when this occurs so her BASE PATH is, oh let's say a 20 degree angle to third. F6 throws to F5. R1 now turns around and is heading back toward 2nd and she is heading straight toward 2nd. F5 throws to F6 who attempts a tag. Now the runner's BASE PATH has been re-established and is a straight line to 2nd. The BASE PATH and BASE LINE coincide at this time. Also, they are only out if the run outside the path to avoid a tag. If the run outside to avoid a fielder who is not in possession of the ball we don't have an out. We have obstruction.

Anyone disagree with any of the above?

Rule citations would be helpful!
I don't believe you're going to find a rule cite other than what you've already said. But yes. You would reconsider the basepath each time. The 3 feet is really to prevent someone from simply running AROUND someone that has the ball.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 17, 2012, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I don't believe you're going to find a rule cite other than what you've already said. But yes. You would reconsider the basepath each time. The 3 feet is really to prevent someone from simply running AROUND someone that has the ball.
What I should have said is if you disagree please give a rule citation. I realize the rule is very much what I stated. The rule doesn't say either way but can be read to imply such. But if someone does disagree, I would like to know based on what rule.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2012, 05:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Agree.......when I coached.......some of the funnest drills we had were for rundowns between bases. The girls always made a competion out of it which added to the intensity.

Joel