The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Tennessee vs Auburn crash

I dont know if I agree with the base runner ejection on the crash. I didnt think it was flagrant, I thought the catcher had some responsibility for the contact by running at runner on the tag.
Should the call of been a dead ball on the contact with the batter runner being returned to first?
Tough decision for the crew!

Last edited by roadking; Sat Apr 07, 2012 at 05:04pm.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2012, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

C'mon Man!
As soon as the batter did not make a squeeze bunt attempt, R1 should have easily seen that she was pizza meat. But what did she do? She kept on at full speed and thrust both forearms into F2. How could you NOT consider that to be flagrant or even a difficult decision for USC?
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

I watched the video and think that I would like have had an ejection. The runner had multiple legal options and elected to use none of them. Though I don't see her "thrust both forearms" (she never pushed off with them), she certainly went in illegally and with great force with the rest of her body. Her demeanor after the play confirms her acts during the play. Ejection.
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Anyone have a link to video of it?
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Auburn Tigers vs Tennessee Lady Vols Softball Game 4/6/12 - YouTube
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Looked pretty bad to me, but of course much more detail in slow motion. While she doesnt really push out with the arms, she does take her left forearm and goes up into the neck/face of the catcher with it.
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

An ejection here is a no-brainer. I would be extremely disappointed if the player wasn't ejected.

And I don't care if it was NCAA or 10 JO, no place for BS like that. This runner came in with full intent of causing a collision. There was absolutely no hesitation or any indication she was going to try and avoid it.
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Was the runner that ended up on second, put back on first? If they ruled flagrant it should have been a dead ball and all runners return to base at time of infraction. Dave
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

They didn't really show the ruling. In fact, it was bizarre, because it took several minutes for word to get up to the announcers that the player was in fact ejected. The catcher was carried off in a stretcher so there was more attention paid to her than to the penalty.

As for the TH, this guy, Adam Amin, is very knowledgeable in the rules and IMO, the best softball TH out there. He was paired up with Michelle Smith, who isn't bad either.
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
As for the TH, this guy, Adam Amin, is very knowledgeable in the rules and IMO, the best softball TH out there. He was paired up with Michelle Smith, who isn't bad either.
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
Was the runner that ended up on second, put back on first? If they ruled flagrant it should have been a dead ball and all runners return to base at time of infraction. Dave
I'm sure they did. The PU appeared to be right on top of things from the moment the collision occurred, video showed the crew conferencing, and we know they ruled flagrant because of the ejection of the Auburn BR.
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking View Post
I dont know if I agree with the base runner ejection on the crash. I didnt think it was flagrant, I thought the catcher had some responsibility for the contact by running at runner on the tag.
Should the call of been a dead ball on the contact with the batter runner being returned to first?
Tough decision for the crew!
?????
If in your mind that wasn't flagrant, what would you consider a flagrant collision?
They could add a picture of that play to the NCAA rule book right under 12.14.
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
I'm sure they did. The PU appeared to be right on top of things from the moment the collision occurred, video showed the crew conferencing, and we know they ruled flagrant because of the ejection of the Auburn BR.
Based on the PU's actions, I was under the impression the ejection was immediate.

He called the out then pointed at the runner and said something to her when she headed back to the dugout.
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Based on the PU's actions, I was under the impression the ejection was immediate.

He called the out then pointed at the runner and said something to her when she headed back to the dugout.
That was my impression too.
Old Sun Apr 08, 2012, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

i saw the point also and was expecting the ncaa ejection mechanic. does it still exist? thoughts on why it did not occur? how important is it or not that the umpire should have given it?