The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Tennessee vs Auburn crash (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/90478-tennessee-vs-auburn-crash.html)

roadking Sat Apr 07, 2012 04:46pm

Tennessee vs Auburn crash

I dont know if I agree with the base runner ejection on the crash. I didnt think it was flagrant, I thought the catcher had some responsibility for the contact by running at runner on the tag.
Should the call of been a dead ball on the contact with the batter runner being returned to first?
Tough decision for the crew!

tcannizzo Sat Apr 07, 2012 09:05pm

C'mon Man!
As soon as the batter did not make a squeeze bunt attempt, R1 should have easily seen that she was pizza meat. But what did she do? She kept on at full speed and thrust both forearms into F2. How could you NOT consider that to be flagrant or even a difficult decision for USC?

EsqUmp Sun Apr 08, 2012 09:01am

I watched the video and think that I would like have had an ejection. The runner had multiple legal options and elected to use none of them. Though I don't see her "thrust both forearms" (she never pushed off with them), she certainly went in illegally and with great force with the rest of her body. Her demeanor after the play confirms her acts during the play. Ejection.

RKBUmp Sun Apr 08, 2012 09:17am

Anyone have a link to video of it?

EsqUmp Sun Apr 08, 2012 09:28am

Auburn Tigers vs Tennessee Lady Vols Softball Game 4/6/12 - YouTube

RKBUmp Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:27am

Looked pretty bad to me, but of course much more detail in slow motion. While she doesnt really push out with the arms, she does take her left forearm and goes up into the neck/face of the catcher with it.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:29am

An ejection here is a no-brainer. I would be extremely disappointed if the player wasn't ejected.

And I don't care if it was NCAA or 10 JO, no place for BS like that. This runner came in with full intent of causing a collision. There was absolutely no hesitation or any indication she was going to try and avoid it.

shipwreck Sun Apr 08, 2012 02:42pm

Was the runner that ended up on second, put back on first? If they ruled flagrant it should have been a dead ball and all runners return to base at time of infraction. Dave

tcannizzo Sun Apr 08, 2012 06:35pm

They didn't really show the ruling. In fact, it was bizarre, because it took several minutes for word to get up to the announcers that the player was in fact ejected. The catcher was carried off in a stretcher so there was more attention paid to her than to the penalty.

As for the TH, this guy, Adam Amin, is very knowledgeable in the rules and IMO, the best softball TH out there. He was paired up with Michelle Smith, who isn't bad either.

okla21fan Sun Apr 08, 2012 06:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcannizzo (Post 836388)
As for the TH, this guy, Adam Amin, is very knowledgeable in the rules and IMO, the best softball TH out there. He was paired up with Michelle Smith, who isn't bad either.

:eek:

KJUmp Sun Apr 08, 2012 08:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipwreck (Post 836379)
Was the runner that ended up on second, put back on first? If they ruled flagrant it should have been a dead ball and all runners return to base at time of infraction. Dave

I'm sure they did. The PU appeared to be right on top of things from the moment the collision occurred, video showed the crew conferencing, and we know they ruled flagrant because of the ejection of the Auburn BR.

KJUmp Sun Apr 08, 2012 08:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadking (Post 836294)
I dont know if I agree with the base runner ejection on the crash. I didnt think it was flagrant, I thought the catcher had some responsibility for the contact by running at runner on the tag.
Should the call of been a dead ball on the contact with the batter runner being returned to first?
Tough decision for the crew!

?????
If in your mind that wasn't flagrant, what would you consider a flagrant collision?
They could add a picture of that play to the NCAA rule book right under 12.14.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Apr 08, 2012 08:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJUmp (Post 836401)
I'm sure they did. The PU appeared to be right on top of things from the moment the collision occurred, video showed the crew conferencing, and we know they ruled flagrant because of the ejection of the Auburn BR.

Based on the PU's actions, I was under the impression the ejection was immediate.

He called the out then pointed at the runner and said something to her when she headed back to the dugout.

KJUmp Sun Apr 08, 2012 08:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 836405)
Based on the PU's actions, I was under the impression the ejection was immediate.

He called the out then pointed at the runner and said something to her when she headed back to the dugout.

That was my impression too.

ronald Sun Apr 08, 2012 08:36pm

i saw the point also and was expecting the ncaa ejection mechanic. does it still exist? thoughts on why it did not occur? how important is it or not that the umpire should have given it?