The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Safe or Out?

Look at this video. Is the baserunner safe or out? After I get some opinions on this, I'll post the call. I'm particularly interested in what you have to say about the shortstop's bobble of the ball at the end of the play. Thanks!

Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountieSB View Post
Look at this video. Is the baserunner safe or out? After I get some opinions on this, I'll post the call. I'm particularly interested in what you have to say about the shortstop's bobble of the ball at the end of the play. Thanks!

I wouldn't call that a bobble. She never really lost control. I have an out here.

(And Blue on the spot appears to be calling it too early!! but I think he has an out too, as he's already winding up for the sell)

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I wouldn't call that a bobble. She never really lost control. I have an out here.

(And Blue on the spot appears to be calling it too early!! but I think he has an out too, as he's already winding up for the sell)
No argument the umpire was anticipating the call, not the play. Seeing what I can see from this angle, I may have ruled the runner safe.

The ball seemed to be begin moving out of the glove upon contact to the point when the SS reached to hold it in, the ball was actually on the back of her fingers and continuing out of the top of the glove where the SS eventually gained control after in snow-coned.

REMEMBER, I'm looking at a replay slower than real time. Other than being early, I'm not faulting the base umpire no matter which way the call goes.

OTOH,the SS pretty much deserved to lose this call by not properly applying a tag. Who the hell doesn't close the glove to grip the ball when tagging a runner?
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Tag: A legal tag is the act of a defensive player: B: Touching the runner or batter-runner with the ball while securely held in the hand or glove.

The ball is moving around in her glove and at the very end she actually has to grab it and put it back in her glove. You would consider this "secure" posession of the ball?
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
ASA Tag: A legal tag is the act of a defensive player: B: Touching the runner or batter-runner with the ball while securely held in the hand or glove.

The ball is moving around in her glove and at the very end she actually has to grab it and put it back in her glove. You would consider this "secure" posession of the ball?
Agreed....One of the very last things in the video is the SS reaching to push the ball back into the glove after she comes up after the tag. This should be a clue that she didn't have the ball securely.

I'm not so sure that the BU is winding up for a sell out, however. It appears that he starts to point at the glove...perhaps to indicate that the ball was loose and the runner is SAFE!
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Agreed....One of the very last things in the video is the SS reaching to push the ball back into the glove after she comes up after the tag. This should be a clue that she didn't have the ball securely.

I'm not so sure that the BU is winding up for a sell out, however. It appears that he starts to point at the glove...perhaps to indicate that the ball was loose and the runner is SAFE!
Don't know, that right fist was pretty tight and ready to go, but we've all been there. I guess he can still recover
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 03:53pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountieSB View Post

This play looked extremely ugly. The SS did not make the call easy for the BU. I would have called the Runner out for no other reason than the SS managed to keep the ball in the glove, but again I have to say the play was very ugly and that is why we are payed the big bucks to call these plays.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

To those wanting to call this safe... the ball moves inside the glove on almost every tag play. I don't see her losing control here.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

I guess we are just not meant to agree today!

Quote:
To those wanting to call this safe... the ball moves inside the glove on almost every tag play. I don't see her losing control here.
mbcrowder,

I guess we are just not going to be able to agree today! I'm calling her safe. And if the ball moves like this on every tag play, then I have a safe call on every tag play. There was way too much movement of the ball to suggest control. If she had closed the glove like Irish suggested you wouldn't have seen that type of movement. Most of the tag plays I see are executed better than this. And as someone else pointed out, she had to grab the ball at the end to prevent it from coming out. No control. She's safe.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
mbcrowder,

I guess we are just not going to be able to agree today!
Sometimes that happens!
Quote:
I'm calling her safe. And if the ball moves like this on every tag play, then I have a safe call on every tag play. There was way too much movement of the ball to suggest control. If she had closed the glove like Irish suggested you wouldn't have seen that type of movement. Most of the tag plays I see are executed better than this. And as someone else pointed out, she had to grab the ball at the end to prevent it from coming out. No control. She's safe.
You are right that it was executed poorly, and that she should have closed the glove - however, that is INDICATIVE of my point - no one is ruling safe on a similar play with a closed glove, even though the ball often moves this much on those plays as well ... you just don't see them. I completely confess that this one is close, and as one other said above, I don't think you can fault the umpire either way on this call.

At this point, I'm more curious as to how it was ruled on the field and what happened after.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, and that glove is usually closed to retain the ball which demonstrates control of the ball. That is not the case here.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

xtreamump

I have an out, I will explain. The position of the Umpire is perfect, however the Video has a different view than we as Umpires will have. The Umpire was blocked from the runner during the lack of control of the ball. I think that he will want to see the ball and make an OUT call.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

The defender had control of the ball. The runner slides in and causes the defender to no longer control the ball. The runner reaches the base. Only after reaching the base does the defender gain control of the ball. Even then, it doesn't appear that she does. She has to got back to the glove again as the ball pops out. The ball has to be secured held at the time the tag is applied, not after.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2012, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Would love to have had that video go about :03 sec. longer.
He gave a point, another few seconds would have told us if the point was indicating that the BU saw a bobble, or had a good tag and an out.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2012, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Yes, but not this much movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Yes, and that glove is usually closed to retain the ball which demonstrates control of the ball. That is not the case here.
Sure the ball may move but not as much as it did on this play. If it moves that much in the glove and I see it, that's not an out.