The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 28, 2012, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticNHBlue View Post
By definition, an IP is a DDB to allow the play to be completed so the offense can select the most advantageous result. The play does not end until the ball is held by the pitcher in the circle and all runners are standing on a base.
Wade, that's a "depends" type of answer. As Mike stated prior in the thread, there is a time when the IP is canceled (ASA/NCAA). In fed play, yes, the offense should just keep running as the coach will always get a choice if the ball is put into play.

As also stated, when the ball is not put into play, NCAA would allow for a choice while Fed does not. Your example would be interesting to see in a game (similar to a runner who is obstructed rounding first and then jogs to second - that I have seen).
Old Tue Feb 28, 2012, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
I no longer call college ball, but in NFHS the offense doesn't have an option if the IP isn't hit or the batter becomes a BR. Once it isn't hit, dead ball, make the award.
I'm probably missing something somewhere, but where in the NFHS Rule book does it state the option is removed if the ball isn't hit fair or foul or the batter becomes a base runner?
Just asking, don't mean to get anybody angry.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2012, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire george View Post
I'm probably missing something somewhere, but where in the NFHS Rule book does it state the option is removed if the ball isn't hit fair or foul or the batter becomes a base runner?
Just asking, don't mean to get anybody angry.
In NFHS the option does not go away if the ball is not hit by the batter, it exists only IF the ball is hit.

Quote:
6-2-2 penalty exception:

EXCEPTION: If the pitcher completes the delivery of the ball to the batter and the batter hits the ball fair or foul, or becomes a base runner, the coach of the team at bat shall have the option of the result of the play or the penalty for an illegal pitch. A delayed dead ball will be signaled by the umpire by extending the left arm horizontally.
The quote is from the 2011 rule book as I don't have the 2012 book in pdf form.

The 2011 case book has this play:

Quote:
6.2.2 SITUATION D: (F.P.) With R1 on third and R2 on first, B3 hits an illegal pitch to deep left-center field. R1 scores, R2 reaches third and B3 stops at first.
RULING: Even though B3 reached first base safely and R1 and R2 advanced at least one base, the coach of the team at bat has the option of the play or the penalty since B3 hit an illegal pitch. (6-2-2 Penalty Exception)
Which shows that the batter reaching base does not negate the option, if the batter reached on a play where the ball was hit.

The play that is put forth as an argument for the offense to always have the option is on a wild pitch/passed ball with runners on second and third. The batting team is down by one run. The catcher retrieves the ball and makes a bad throw allowing both runners to score, putting the team at bat ahead. If the pitch was an illegal pitch only one runner can score in NFHS, since the ball was not hit. The defense in effect benefits from violating a rule.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2012, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Good question regarding whether there is an actual "effect" difference if you do or don't rule on the pitch as a ball or strike.

It's a shame that it has led so many clones to regurgitate the discussion on how loud to call an illegal pitch.

People should really start a new thread if they want to start a string of non-responsive answers.

Always make the call. The coach will have the option to take the result of the play (assuming all runners, including the batter, haven't advanced safely one base). Without having a complete play, the umpire wouldn't be able to articulate the result of the play. Who knows what coaches may do and why.

With that said, if you use an indicator, I recommend not clicking anything if you hear your partner call an illegal pitch. That way, when you go to register it, you don't have to erase strikes and add a ball, etc.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2012, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
I no longer call college ball, but in NFHS the offense doesn't have an option if the IP isn't hit or the batter becomes a BR. Once it isn't hit, dead ball, make the award.
Not so.

If R2 on 2nd base is the winning run. She is stealing 3rd base. Illegal pitch is thrown and called a ball (out of the zone and not swung at). F2 throws to F5 to retire R2 at 3rd base. F2 throws the ball into the outfield. R2 comes around to score.

The ball is NOT dead when B3 doesn't swing.

The coach can take the result of the play (since not all runners, including the batter, advanced one base) or enforcement of the penalty. I would prefer to score the winning run over getting a ball on the batter and moving R2 to 3rd base.

I would prefer to score R2 on the result of the play.
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsqUmp View Post
Not so.

If R2 on 2nd base is the winning run. She is stealing 3rd base. Illegal pitch is thrown and called a ball (out of the zone and not swung at). F2 throws to F5 to retire R2 at 3rd base. F2 throws the ball into the outfield. R2 comes around to score.

The coach can take the result of the play (since not all runners, including the batter, advanced one base) or enforcement of the penalty. I would prefer to score the winning run over getting a ball on the batter and moving R2 to 3rd base.

I would prefer to score R2 on the result of the play.
I believe that is an NCAA ruling. In NFHS, the ball has to be hit in order to give the coach an option.

Marvin quoted the applicable rule:

NFHS 6-1-1
Quote:

PENALTY: (Art. 1) An illegal pitch shall be declared immediately by the umpire (delayed dead-ball signal). The batter is awarded a ball and base runners are awarded one base without liability to be put out.

EXCEPTION: When the pitcher completes the delivery of the ball to the batter and the batter hits the ball fair or foul, or becomes a base runner, the coach of the team at bat shall have the option of the result of the play or the penalty for an illegal pitch.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Feb 29, 2012, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not so.

If R2 on 2nd base is the winning run. She is stealing 3rd base. Illegal pitch is thrown and called a ball (out of the zone and not swung at).
DEAD BALL!!!
Quote:
F2 throws to F5 to retire R2 at 3rd base. F2 throws the ball into the outfield. R2 comes around to score.
None of this matters, ball is dead.

Quote:
Except for that pesky rule that says it is.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 01, 2012, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

xtreamump

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
DEAD BALL!!! None of this matters, ball is dead.

Except for that pesky rule that says it is.
Hey Mike,

I am starting to feel an Umpire Bond here... IP is DD, OC takes play or penalty ?

Why is the ball Dead in ASA ?
Old Fri Mar 02, 2012, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreamump View Post
Hey Mike,

IT'S NOT DEAD, as stated by Mike. It's not dead in ASA. It's not dead in NCAA. I must really be missing something here (maybe I am).

Illegal Pitch Effect: "If the batter hits the ball and reaches first base safely, and if all other runners have advanced at least one base on the batted ball, the illegal pitch is nullified." "Otherwise the manager has the option to take the result of the play or the illegal pitch is enforced by awarding a ball to the batter and advance all runners one base."

The play must be completed before the umpire calls "time" to address enforcement of an illegal pitch.

In this case, the batter did not safely reach first base. Therefore, the coach has an option to take the result of the play or enforcement of the illegal pitch (ball on batter and all runners get a base).

Additionally, "An umpire may not call time while any play is in progress" (except injured player needing immediate attention).

WHY IS THE BALL DEAD WHEN THE PLAY ISN'T OVER?
Old Fri Mar 02, 2012, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Question xtreamump

Quote:
IT'S NOT DEAD, as stated by Mike. It's not dead in ASA. It's not dead in NCAA. I must really be missing something here (maybe I am).

Illegal Pitch Effect: "If the batter hits the ball and reaches first base safely, and if all other runners have advanced at least one base on the batted ball, the illegal pitch is nullified." "Otherwise the manager has the option to take the result of the play or the illegal pitch is enforced by awarding a ball to the batter and advance all runners one base."

The play must be completed before the umpire calls "time" to address enforcement of an illegal pitch.

In this case, the batter did not safely reach first base. Therefore, the coach has an option to take the result of the play or enforcement of the illegal pitch (ball on batter and all runners get a base).

Additionally, "An umpire may not call time while any play is in progress" (except injured player needing immediate attention).

Come on Mike tell us something that we don't know..
Old Fri Mar 02, 2012, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad
In NFHS the offense doesn't have an option if the IP isn't hit or the batter becomes a BR. Once it isn't hit, dead ball, make the award.
Quote:
Not so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreamump
If you guys can't make note of the rule-set you are discussing, and/or keep them straight, you're going to have a lot of problems here.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Mar 02, 2012, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I must really be missing something here.
Only that NFHS and ASA enforce/penalize illegal pitches differently.

My advice would be to take a little more time actually reading what you're responding to before telling others they don't know what they're talking about. Maybe you could use some of the time wasted on berating people who don't stick to a narrowly defined course of discussion that you deem suitable or thinking up catchy quips about "clones".
Old Fri Mar 02, 2012, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Talking xtreamump

Quote:

The code here that the nice gentleman is referencing is NCAA/ASA, not Federation. I do not follow NCAA so I have no coment on that .

Last edited by x-tremeump; Fri Mar 02, 2012 at 12:46pm. Reason: Add information
Old Fri Mar 02, 2012, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

xtreamump

Quote:
If you guys can't make note of the rule-set you are discussing, and/or keep them straight, you're going to have a lot of problems here.
If you experienced Forum users would get threw a thread without killing the issue. It would not get hostile where you threaten people. There is no problem that you or any other clone can do that will keep myself or ESQUMP off of "YOUR" Forum.
Old Fri Mar 02, 2012, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

xtreamump

Quote:
One more, in Sept, 1991 I took Military Convoys from Ft. Hood, TX. to the port of Houston. To prepare for deployment to Desert Shield/Storm .We had a stop every time in Katy, TX. There were so many nice people there, very nice place.