The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

I am a third year Ump, and games have finally started slowing a bit so I am not feeling hurried in my spotting and other duties. BUT...how many of you walk off your yardage on penalties?

NFHS manual says no, and I know the proper markings on a field makes a difference, but I still resort to walking off even 15 yarders, when my starting point is between hashes or the "grey" area between major yard lines. Any sound techniques would be much appreciated.

J
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

A typical practice is to walk off to the next 5 line and then go from there. For example, if your at the 42 going back, walk of two yards to the 40, then use the major yard lines to go to the 30 and then walk off 3 yards to the 27. That's accurate, faster and looks better than trying to step off 15 yards.
Old Fri Sep 30, 2005, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaysef
I am a third year Ump, and games have finally started slowing a bit so I am not feeling hurried in my spotting and other duties. BUT...how many of you walk off your yardage on penalties?

NFHS manual says no, and I know the proper markings on a field makes a difference, but I still resort to walking off even 15 yarders, when my starting point is between hashes or the "grey" area between major yard lines. Any sound techniques would be much appreciated.

J
My third year also. I try and get my bearings ahead of stepping off penalty, know which line to go to, then trot to the spot, just counting in my head. My linesman also steps it off, so we should end up at the same spot.

The fields in the hinterland here in WI sometimes aren't marked so nice, that does make it difficult. Any tips from the vets would be appreciated.

Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 03:20am
Official Forum Member

We walk them off with the HL (5-man crews) mirroring the walkoff. The LJ holds the spot of enforcement. Before I place the ball down, I confirm with the HL that we are at the right yard line, look back to the LJ to insure we are the proper distance displaced and place the ball. Not all of our fields have the optional marking for every yard, but I will use those if they are available.

Another question is how many crews tape the halfway point of the chains so you can determine if a 5 yard penalty would result in a first down by yardage before walking it off?
Old Sat Oct 01, 2005, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BulldogMcC
We walk them off with the HL (5-man crews) mirroring the walkoff. The LJ holds the spot of enforcement. Before I place the ball down, I confirm with the HL that we are at the right yard line, look back to the LJ to insure we are the proper distance displaced and place the ball. Not all of our fields have the optional marking for every yard, but I will use those if they are available.

Another question is how many crews tape the halfway point of the chains so you can determine if a 5 yard penalty would result in a first down by yardage before walking it off?
We make sure our chains are taped, every school usually already has it done. I just check it before the game to make sure its in the right spot.
Old Sun Oct 02, 2005, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Good Info

Taping the chains makes good sense. We have not utilized that as a crew to date. I can't believe how much we have to learn after three years in. Thanks guys.

J
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Re: Good Info

Quote:
Taping the chains makes good sense. We have not utilized that as a crew to date. I can't believe how much we have to learn after three years in. Thanks guys.

J
With the possible exception being a brand new set of chains, I don't think I've ever seen a chain equipment that wasn't taped in the middle.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Had a question about Linesman walking off with the U. The manual says that LJ holds the enforcement spot, and linesman proceeds to the succeeding spot. That wording almost seems to me that LM goes to the spot before the U walks off.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Good Info

Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp
Quote:

J
With the possible exception being a brand new set of chains, I don't think I've ever seen a chain equipment that wasn't taped in the middle.
I can say I have never seen chains at a HS without tape.