The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 20, 2003, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
... snip ... I'm trying to visualize this play and cannot for the sake of me figure out why a throw to the 3B side would cause the umpire's view to be obstructed. Where was the umpire? Was there a runner on 3B which caused the umpire to be in the C? What piece of information is missing that I cannot see the play as you did?
My guess is over running, starting to round the outside of the base, causing the runner to block his view.
Old Sun Apr 20, 2003, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
I didn't visualize F3 being pulled off the base in "F3 has one foot on white bag as ball is thrown. BR collides with F3 as F3 catches ball", so I assumed the collision happened at the base. I have no problem with the umpire checking for the ball as I hope we all do, but I didn't get the time limit aspect. Was it credibility of control in spite of still having it after getting knocked down? If there was no catch with the collision, then it probably should have been interference regardless of ball shown or not.

Yes, restricted to the dugout is what I meant, rather than sight & sound; although I have no history of FP ejections to go on. Yes, Mike, that is my bias to FP, reinforced by sprivitor sounding like a coach, asking about 10&U in another topic and saying "she got knocked out almost". Always has been, always will be and also chocolate over vanilla.
C-One,

There are more females in softball than just those who play JO ball. There are more adult women by the thousands who play SP as opposed to FP. Unless you can read minds, never assume when dealing with a player or coach.

Beside, chocolate is no different than vanilla if it is that of a steady diet.

And, yes, the world is round.

Old Sun Apr 20, 2003, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
... snip ... I'm trying to visualize this play and cannot for the sake of me figure out why a throw to the 3B side would cause the umpire's view to be obstructed. Where was the umpire? Was there a runner on 3B which caused the umpire to be in the C? What piece of information is missing that I cannot see the play as you did?
My guess is over running, starting to round the outside of the base, causing the runner to block his view.
Ump was in B, runner wound up reaching in between SS's legs to reach bag as SS was blocking the bag. Because the throw was on 3rd side the view of the tag was blocked by both SS and runner, SS couldn't find runner's hand and wound up tagging air for awhile . Clear as day from C position or A, not much chance from B as SS's leg and runners helmet blocked his view. Jim
Old Mon Apr 21, 2003, 05:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChampaignBlue
Quote:
Quote:
Ump was in B, runner wound up reaching in between SS's legs to reach bag as SS was blocking the bag. Because the throw was on 3rd side the view of the tag was blocked by both SS and runner, SS couldn't find runner's hand and wound up tagging air for awhile . Clear as day from C position or A, not much chance from B as SS's leg and runners helmet blocked his view. Jim
Still cannot visualize this play. With the ball and the runner coming from opposite directions, it should be easy to see this play from B. I could understand if the throw from the catcher drifted toward the 1B side. Then the runner's body would block out a good catch-and-tag.

Umpire had to be way out of position to not see this play.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2003, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Wink

Quote:
C-One,

There are more females in softball than just those who play JO ball. There are more adult women by the thousands who play SP as opposed to FP. Unless you can read minds, never assume when dealing with a player or coach.

Beside, chocolate is no different than vanilla if it is that of a steady diet.

And, yes, the world is round. [/B]
Who said I can't read minds??
Old Mon Apr 21, 2003, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sprivitor
Here's one that arose in a recent tournament for which our team participated. What would your call be?

Set the stage: ASA Softball tournament, Top of 3rd, score tied, no runners on base, 1 out. Questionable call evolves around Orange Base at first. Batter hits to F6, F6 fields ball and throws to F3. F3 has one foot on white bag as ball is thrown. BR collides with F3 as F3 catches ball. F3 holds onto ball and goes to ground in pain. Two or 3 seconds pass then F3 pulls hand out of glove with ball still in it. Umpire calls BR save because F3 did not "bring the ball up after the catch". My thought "well, yeah, she got knocked out almost!"

This had me in a quandry. I've never heard of this rule. Is this accurate? Further, doesn't F3 have the right to the white bag at first and BR the orange?

What would your call be?

Steve
Sorry, I'm a little late picking up on this thread.

Spivitor, you are missing some important components in your setting.

The first question is did the runner beat the throw? Obviously, if NO, then runner is out. If yes then safe with potential for interference call.

Removing the mitt with the ball still inside is not dropping the ball or loss of control. This is an intentional act by the defensive player and says to me that this was a good catch. F3 felt the play was over.

What base did the batter-runner touch? Orange: maybe incidental contact. White: runner is out for interference.

Were there other runners? If interference is the proper ruling then perhaps BR is out AND the runner closest to home.

Was contact intentionally malicious... out and ejection.

Just some of my thoughts. Definitely a Had To Be There...