Thread: First Base Call
View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 20, 2003, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Mike,
You're right, I showed my ignorance (stick around, I'm sure I've got lots more to show) by not even considering that we'll use the double base when it's present on the field at any level.

I agree that if a crash isn't flagrant there's no penalty. But, is this a change ASA should think about - putting an ejected youth player to the bench?

Steve M
Steve,

I don't think this is the same situation held by the high schools where an educational facility is liable. As you know, ASA tries not to get overly specific with their rules as the more lines they draw in the sand, the more questions and confusion come about.

Where do you draw such a line? I've seen some girls at the 14U level who can get pretty sassy toward an umpire, though there aren't that many. But as umpires, we certainly don't need to have to worry about babysitting when working games.

They way I see it, if it is necessary to get rid of a player, it should be the team's responsibility to ensure her safety, not mine. If that means a coach needs to go with her, oh well!

As I said before, I'm not advocating forcing an ejected player to leave the grounds if the umpire is satisfied with confining them to the bench.