Thread: First Base Call
View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 20, 2003, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Mike,
Interesting sideline to this discussion. Ejected youth player - I restrict to the bench. Steve Sprivitor didn't tell us the age group involved, but ..... We can be pretty sure that it is JO ball since they are using the double base.

I agree with an ejected adult being gone from sight & sound, but I do not agree with sending an 18&U or younger ejected player anywhere except the bench.

Steve M
That is correct, there was no age level, or for that matter discipline mentioned.

However, Steve, you are showing that old FP bias. A double-base is manatory for all JO FP and Senior SP games. However, it is also used wherever they are installed and many SP games are played on fields with double-bases.

Secondly, if the crash wasn't flagrant, the player should not be ejected. (8.7.Q) ASA does not have a bench restriction, per se. Under the definition of Ejected Player you will see that if the act for ejection is flagrant, the player or coach will be required to leave the grounds for the remainder of the game.

I'm not saying that you cannot or should not permit the player to stay, silently I might add, on the bench. I'm just noting what the rule book states.