Thread: First Base Call
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 21, 2003, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sprivitor
Here's one that arose in a recent tournament for which our team participated. What would your call be?

Set the stage: ASA Softball tournament, Top of 3rd, score tied, no runners on base, 1 out. Questionable call evolves around Orange Base at first. Batter hits to F6, F6 fields ball and throws to F3. F3 has one foot on white bag as ball is thrown. BR collides with F3 as F3 catches ball. F3 holds onto ball and goes to ground in pain. Two or 3 seconds pass then F3 pulls hand out of glove with ball still in it. Umpire calls BR save because F3 did not "bring the ball up after the catch". My thought "well, yeah, she got knocked out almost!"

This had me in a quandry. I've never heard of this rule. Is this accurate? Further, doesn't F3 have the right to the white bag at first and BR the orange?

What would your call be?

Steve
Sorry, I'm a little late picking up on this thread.

Spivitor, you are missing some important components in your setting.

The first question is did the runner beat the throw? Obviously, if NO, then runner is out. If yes then safe with potential for interference call.

Removing the mitt with the ball still inside is not dropping the ball or loss of control. This is an intentional act by the defensive player and says to me that this was a good catch. F3 felt the play was over.

What base did the batter-runner touch? Orange: maybe incidental contact. White: runner is out for interference.

Were there other runners? If interference is the proper ruling then perhaps BR is out AND the runner closest to home.

Was contact intentionally malicious... out and ejection.

Just some of my thoughts. Definitely a Had To Be There...