The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
I'd like to see ASA embrace flex fit caps - much easier to order without the worry about the variance of fit you get with the current ASA caps.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
I'd like to see ASA embrace flex fit caps - much easier to order without the worry about the variance of fit you get with the current ASA caps.
You mean these?

ASA Properties, Inc.

I don't know if it's approved for a National, but they do have them.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Nov 09, 2011, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
You mean these?

ASA Properties, Inc.

I wore the Flex fit at my national last summer and nobody said a word, nor was anything noted on my evaluation.

On a related note, some new shoes were also presented at the committee meeting. They are the New Balance shoes that the MLB umpires wear. Complete with the big, white N on the side and a white sole.

When the obvious question was asked (what about all the white), the answer given was that if we wear the same stuff the MLB guys are wearing it helps our umpire's credibility. I'm not so sure about that.

It was mentioned that ASA will try to work with New Balance to produce the shoe in an all black model, but no guarantees at this time.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2011, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I wore the Flex fit at my national last summer and nobody said a word, nor was anything noted on my evaluation.

On a related note, some new shoes were also presented at the committee meeting. They are the New Balance shoes that the MLB umpires wear. Complete with the big, white N on the side and a white sole.

When the obvious question was asked (what about all the white), the answer given was that if we wear the same stuff the MLB guys are wearing it helps our umpire's credibility. I'm not so sure about that.

It was mentioned that ASA will try to work with New Balance to produce the shoe in an all black model, but no guarantees at this time.
Ump-Attire.com does have the shoe you're probably referring to, and it's "all black" (not really). By "all black," they mean that the logo only has the silver border, but the big MLB logo is still on the tongue and on the back of the shoe.

That's why I have Sharpies.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Thu Nov 10, 2011, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
I would be more than willing to pay the price for a more comfortable uniform shirt. Like Dakota said, give us the choice.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2011, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpirebob71 View Post
I would be more than willing to pay the price for a more comfortable uniform shirt. Like Dakota said, give us the choice.
I second this sentiment.

I pride myself in taking good care of my uniforms and equipment. I'd prefer to have something that looks great out there and is comfortable in the warmer NC summers. The current shirts breath a little, but I know there are better options out there.

Old Fri Nov 11, 2011, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
You mean these?

ASA Properties, Inc.

I was thinking in terms of the wool cap....
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ump-Attire.com does have the shoe you're probably referring to, and it's "all black" (not really). By "all black," they mean that the logo only has the silver border, but the big MLB logo is still on the tongue and on the back of the shoe.

That's why I have Sharpies.
I recently received a mailing with the New Balance shoes, both field and plate. I agree that despite the description, the shoe is not all black, although the field shoe is moreso than the plate shoe. As you mention, the MLB logo is on the tongue and heel of the shoe.

Given that, I think ASA and NFHS should provide some latitude for its umpires so we have a bit more to choose from. I don't like the idea of having to either remove or color in a part of the shoe that isn't completely black. Seems a bit tacky to have to do that if you've found a shoe you're comfortable in.

I have a pair of NB field shoes that are mid-cut that I've enjoyed. Unfortunately, they have a big white "N" on the sides of the shoe, so I only wear them doing wreck league games. I don't use them for high school or tournament games. They are wearing out, so I might consider the NB field shoe, despite the white logos.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Given that, I think ASA and NFHS should provide some latitude for its umpires so we have a bit more to choose from. I don't like the idea of having to either remove or color in a part of the shoe that isn't completely black. Seems a bit tacky to have to do that if you've found a shoe you're comfortable in.
I guess I look at it a llittle differently. ASA and NFHS DO allow latitude for you to wear any shoe you want to, whats comfortable to you wear it. Just black out any color that's not black. Honestly I don't see what the big deal it to use your sharpie and color them in, or leather luster works great too. Again just a little difference of opinion I guess, some ask why do I have to color them in, others think just freakin color them in and go on.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I recently received a mailing with the New Balance shoes, both field and plate. I agree that despite the description, the shoe is not all black, although the field shoe is moreso than the plate shoe. As you mention, the MLB logo is on the tongue and heel of the shoe.

I have a pair of NB field shoes that are mid-cut that I've enjoyed. Unfortunately, they have a big white "N" on the sides of the shoe, so I only wear them doing wreck league games. I don't use them for high school or tournament games. They are wearing out, so I might consider the NB field shoe, despite the white logos.
I find it remarkable that you can buy the NB 450s on their website, and it still has the big silver "N" on the side.

I think that reasonable concessions should be made. We're not advertising for another association, and blacking things out with a Sharpie just looks... tacky.

Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

I have the Reebok plate shoes and love them. But the big white "REEBOK" across the back and the white Major League Baseball emblem had to go...

The "REEBOK" on the back is pretty easy to get rid of. A little nail polish remover and a little elbow grease and it's gone. After I wiped out the logo, I flushed the area pretty good with water. I didn't want any residual acetone to possibly damage the vinyl material of the shoe.

The MLB logo on front was a little tougher. It's not a screen printed logo, like the one on the back- it's more of a sewn-in vinyl insert. I started going over it with Sharpie and it looked pretty crappy- kind of streaky, not as dark as the surrounding black shoe material and you could still see it was there. So I went over the logo with black leather dye. A couple of coats and the logo is now fairly invisible.

While I'm on the subject of these shoes, several umpires have mentioned to me that they don't like the way the top plate "bows up" where it attaches near the front of the shoe (if you've tried these shoes, you probably know what I'm talking about). I didn't like that either, so I played around with tying them different ways. If you lace up the shoe like you would a normal shoe, then run the laces through the holes in the top plate last, after going through the last eyelets in the shoe, when you pull the lace tight it pulls the top plate back and it lays flat against the shoe.

These shoes are very comfortable and have proven durable through two seasons. As much as I like them, I like them even more now that they really are "all black" and that ugly bump in the front is gone!

Last edited by BretMan; Tue Nov 22, 2011 at 03:38pm.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

I have no problem with all black shoes. I've seen umpires wearing shoes with white stripes/swooshes. Reminds me of the Sea World commercial with Shamu gliding through the water.

If everyone is wearing black, they are all going to match and I AM a firm believer in umpires being alike and not individually styling on the field.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I have no problem with all black shoes. I've seen umpires wearing shoes with white stripes/swooshes. Reminds me of the Sea World commercial with Shamu gliding through the water.

If everyone is wearing black, they are all going to match and I AM a firm believer in umpires being alike and not individually styling on the field.
I'm not sure wearing proper footwear that's common in our professional circles in their straight-from-the-box form is "styling." New Balance isn't a flashy brand, and I don't think the silver "N" on their shoes draw attention to the umpire any more than the bright "ASA" letters do on a navy ball bag.

Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not sure wearing proper footwear that's common in our professional circles in their straight-from-the-box form is "styling." New Balance isn't a flashy brand, and I don't think the silver "N" on their shoes draw attention to the umpire any more than the bright "ASA" letters do on a navy ball bag.
I agree, I think the ASA on the ball bag is atrocious, but I guarantee you any bright color on the shoe is going to stand out and draw attention. I've seen it too often at all levels.
Old Wed Nov 23, 2011, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Tanel...............