The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 12, 2009, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Related/Additional Activity

This question rises from a correctable error situation. Foul 7 is called, but treated as Foul 6....throw-in by team A then results in Foul 8. Now the table says that it is actually 8 and 7 was not shot. Foul 8 is common. Is foul 8 considered "additional acitvity" that shall not be nullified under ART 5 (2-10). I can't find any def in any book at all, and the only thing close is the "additional activity" that occurs after the expiration of time (quarter/ OT possibility). I am trying to justify not shooting foul 8, but going back and shooting 7 under ART 6, since there has been no change in possession, with the lane filled, but not sure if that is possible. I know I have to enforce all flagrant, technical, or intentional fouls at this point, but common can be canceled at times. How would you handle?
Old Thu Nov 12, 2009, 04:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

You cannot justify doing what you want to do. This is what I meant in the other thread when I said "shouldn't" doesn't matter. You can't nullify the activity, just like points scored.
Old Thu Nov 12, 2009, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

"Points scored, consumed time and additional activity, which may occur prior to the recognition of an error, shall not be nullified." That seems pretty clear to me. Just because we recognize that we made a CE, we do not "wipe off" what they have done in the mean time. And in the OP, they committed a common foul. We make the prescribed correction, then carry on based on 2-10-6. In this case, I believe that's POI which is the free throws for foul 8.

As for "additional activity", what does it mean? It's not in Rule 4, so we're stuck with just plain old English. Here's the relevant definitions from BITS' Glossary.

Activity - Stuff that players do
Additional - Any other kind of which is not already enumerated
Additional activity - Any other stuff players do beyond what is already specifically stated

In the context of the rule snippet above, "additional activity" definitely comprises fouls.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Thu Nov 12, 2009 at 05:04pm.