The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 13, 2011, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Cecil:

Your tag line says that we cannot invent rulings to fit our opinions. The ASA book does not allow us to call "play on". As much as it should be no interference the book doesn't let us call that.

The situation doesn't meet both of the criteria.

My personal opinion is that it should not be interference. BUT I would have to go with an out as I would be overruled in a protest.

This is good discussion.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2011, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Lucky me. I had this happen to me last evening. String or other conspiracy theories aside, I called an out.

Runners on first and second, 1 out. Batter hits a hard grounder past the pitcher on the SS side of second base. Runner attempted to jump over the ball which just clipped the heel on one of her shoes. The ball continued on into center field without any noticeable deflection.

I called dead ball and the runner out. This call was made more by ear than by sight. I only had a chance to take a step or two towards 2B, saw the jump and heard an audible click.

F6 or F4 had no prayer of making a play on this ball, but they were playing on the cut of the infield - very deep. Since no one saw the ball deflect or the runner react from being hit, the O-team wasn't too happy. Walking back to "B" after explaining the call to coach at third base, F4 said "good call, blue", but, since it was in their favor, she could have said it even if I kicked the call.

BTW, women's slow pitch game.

Last edited by Tru_in_Blu; Thu Aug 18, 2011 at 02:24pm.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2011, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
she could have said it even if I kicked the call.
Or, kicked the ball !
Old Thu Aug 25, 2011, 05:34am
Official Forum Member

Here's one I've not seen before. I was watching this game awaiting next game. Women's slow pitch, runners on first and third, one out. Infielders playing deep.

Batter hits a line drive that hits the third base bag on the fly. When the ball was hit, the runner moved inside the diamond to avoid being hit and took a step or two toward home. The bases on this field are the rubber type that set in recessed recepticle in the ground. The ball caromed off the base and reversed direction and hit the runner off third base. When the runner was contacted with the ball, she was in fair territory.

The call was an out for interference. Batter was awarded first base and the runner who was at first moved up to second.

I agreed with the call and after the game discussed it with both umps. We brought up if the call would have been different if the runner had been in foul territory after the richochet. I'm thinking it wouldn't have mattered because one the ball hit the base it was a fair ball no matter what direction it bounced.

Probably won't see that play again. Anyone have a different call than what was made?
Old Thu Aug 25, 2011, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Agree with the interference call. Kind of a bad break for the runner, but the game is full of plays that hinge on unlucky bounces.

If the runner had been hit by this fair batted ball while she was over foul territory, she may not have been out. She would only be out if the contact with the ball prevented an out from being made. (ASA 8-8-E)