The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 05:26am
Official Forum Member

bad mechanic advice from assignor

after typing this out, it turned out to be rather long, heres the cliffs notes version. i moved, started doing NSA (had done ASA), the assignor (who is also the HNIC) wants me to do some flat out bad mechanics, do i bring up the issue and risk pissing him off or say nothing and comply with his demands bc i need the $$ right now?

heres the deal, ive umped ASA (both SP and FP) for a few years and recently moved. in my new location, ASA only does FP and NSA does the SP leagues. one of the other ASA umps gives me a name to contact for NSA, this person turned out to be the assignor for the entire city.

i meet this guy, he gives me my uni and a copy of the local league rules, no NSA rulebook... im not sure if its bc i joined during the middle of the softball year (which runs feb-nov) but i did join at the start of a new session. rumor has it he normally only gets new umps at the start of the year.

on my 3rd night umping for NSA he shows up to evaluate. right away hes like why are you just saying ball (on the non strike pitches), you are to never say ball, only say inside, or outside.... and point with your left hand to the pitches location. next hes asked me why the f*ck i was in foul territory down the 3B line after the ball was hit. i said thats the ASA mechanic for that situation, he replies with something like this aint ASA and you are going to do things my way, you are to never be in foul territory.

now this last one is the one that really got me. its 1st and 2nd, a base hit to LF, i move to the left of the pitching rubber since there was no chance to get the runner scoring and IMO the most likely throw, given the runners, was to get the runner going 1st to 3rd. the throw ended up being cut off by the SS, i see this, and turn my head to make sure the runner touched home. after the inning the assignor essentially yelled at me for taking my eye off the ball. i told him i was making sure the runner touched... he said i dont care if the runner touches home or not, thats not where the ball is. i responded, ive seen runners miss home when theres no play, what if the other team appealed, do you really want me to tell them i wasnt watching home? he said yes, tell them you were watching the other runners, they will understand.

now heres my dilemma, i found an NSA ump mechanic pdf online, and of course the assignor is 100% wrong on the first 2 things ive shared, i didnt bother looking up the last one bc theres no way the ump manual is going to say dont watch the runners touch the bases. do i call up the city UIC, whom ive never met before, and hope he doesnt have the assignors back and i end up getting "black balled", do i say nothing and just do the games (i need the $$ a lot for the next 6 months), do i bring up the mechanic rule book to the assignor?

any advice would be appreciated

thanks
Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr131981 View Post
after typing this out, it turned out to be rather long, heres the cliffs notes version. i moved, started doing NSA (had done ASA), the assignor (who is also the HNIC) wants me to do some flat out bad mechanics, do i bring up the issue and risk pissing him off or say nothing and comply with his demands bc i need the $$ right now?

heres the deal, ive umped ASA (both SP and FP) for a few years and recently moved. in my new location, ASA only does FP and NSA does the SP leagues. one of the other ASA umps gives me a name to contact for NSA, this person turned out to be the assignor for the entire city.

i meet this guy, he gives me my uni and a copy of the local league rules, no NSA rulebook... im not sure if its bc i joined during the middle of the softball year (which runs feb-nov) but i did join at the start of a new session. rumor has it he normally only gets new umps at the start of the year.

on my 3rd night umping for NSA he shows up to evaluate. right away hes like why are you just saying ball (on the non strike pitches), you are to never say ball, only say inside, or outside.... and point with your left hand to the pitches location. next hes asked me why the f*ck i was in foul territory down the 3B line after the ball was hit. i said thats the ASA mechanic for that situation, he replies with something like this aint ASA and you are going to do things my way, you are to never be in foul territory.

now this last one is the one that really got me. its 1st and 2nd, a base hit to LF, i move to the left of the pitching rubber since there was no chance to get the runner scoring and IMO the most likely throw, given the runners, was to get the runner going 1st to 3rd. the throw ended up being cut off by the SS, i see this, and turn my head to make sure the runner touched home. after the inning the assignor essentially yelled at me for taking my eye off the ball. i told him i was making sure the runner touched... he said i dont care if the runner touches home or not, thats not where the ball is. i responded, ive seen runners miss home when theres no play, what if the other team appealed, do you really want me to tell them i wasnt watching home? he said yes, tell them you were watching the other runners, they will understand.

now heres my dilemma, i found an NSA ump mechanic pdf online, and of course the assignor is 100% wrong on the first 2 things ive shared, i didnt bother looking up the last one bc theres no way the ump manual is going to say dont watch the runners touch the bases. do i call up the city UIC, whom ive never met before, and hope he doesnt have the assignors back and i end up getting "black balled", do i say nothing and just do the games (i need the $$ a lot for the next 6 months), do i bring up the mechanic rule book to the assignor?

any advice would be appreciated

thanks
Two things....

1. NEVER..EVER say HNIC..it makes you look like a racist jackass.... I dont care WHAT color you are... it's unacceptable language.

2. Quit working for this guy....

3. SEE NUMBER 1....
Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg View Post
Two things....

1. NEVER..EVER say HNIC..it makes you look like a racist jackass.... I dont care WHAT color you are... it's unacceptable language.

2. Quit working for this guy....

3. SEE NUMBER 1....
Maybe he meant Hockey Night in Canada?

Actually, I had to think about it for a while. Damn, you're right. I totally missed it.

I agree with Mr. Darrell here. Not cool, jr. Not cool at all.

As for your assignor, well... Is there nowhere else you can call?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Even though I basically agree with both and also do not care about NSA, you seem to be stuck with " when in Rome, do ... ". Maybe a new emperor will ascend.

In one-ump, you will not see everything. And most players will recognize that with multiple runners.

[tease]Of course, if in foul ground holding, you can see the runner touch HP w/o turning around. [/tease]
Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Maybe he meant Hockey Night in Canada?
Isn't that every night?

Quote:
Actually, I had to think about it for a while. Damn, you're right. I totally missed it.
Me too - still ?? Is that a southern thing?
Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Isn't that every night?

It means "head [n-bomb] in charge."

Just when you think we're making progress in the world...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 02:40pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg View Post
To be honest when I saw the letter "N" I thought of any of the following nouns that would have been appropriate:

1) numbskull

2) numb nuts (I guess that should have been a double N, but still my favorite, .)

3) nim com poop

4) nit wit

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

thanks for all the replies

just to clarify, my only contact with anyone affiliated with NSA has been this assignor, i have no clue who the UIC is (its not the assignor) and would have to look it up. but my concern is, since the assignor appears to be such a bigwig, that the UIC will simply defer to the assignor and then ill be screwed.

what i think im going to do is send an anonymous email to the UIC simply asking whats the proper mechanic for calling balls and strikes just to see what he says, and then proceed accordingly

believe me, if there was another organization or assignor to work with, i would, but the fact of the matter is my recent move put me in the hole and i need the extra $200/week for the near future.
Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Isn't that every night?

i believe cornel west first coined the phrase but it was also very prominent in the movie lean on me.

i used to live in NY and it was a common term used by everyone to describe if someone was the sole person in charge, as in someone has the 'its my way or the highway' approach to leadership.
Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr131981 View Post
i believe cornel west first coined the phrase but it was also very prominent in the movie lean on me.

i used to live in NY and it was a common term used by everyone to describe if someone was the sole person in charge, as in someone has the 'its my way or the highway' approach to leadership.
Still wouldn't use that phrase if I were you. Just because you grew up in an area where the term wasn't applied towards blacks doesn't mean that it doesn't still disparage them.

Ever see Clerks 2? A particular scene with Wanda Sykes comes to mind.

Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

HMFIC works for me.
Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

You know what? Whatever you use it can be whatever you want and it really doesn't make a difference what you think it is because it is nothing by a waste of time and gray matter.

Get beyond the BS and stop worrying about something over which you have no control and move on with the thread.

BTW, Dave, when I was in boot camp there was a guy from your part of NC that clearly stated he couldn't wait to get home and get some cock. Guess how that was received by his fellow sailors?
Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
You know what? Whatever you use it can be whatever you want and it really doesn't make a difference what you think it is because it is nothing by a waste of time and gray matter.

Get beyond the BS and stop worrying about something over which you have no control and move on with the thread.

BTW, Dave, when I was in boot camp there was a guy from your part of NC that clearly stated he couldn't wait to get home and get some cock. Guess how that was received by his fellow sailors?
"Why go all the way back to NC when there's plenty of it right here?"

Sorry... You did say they were sailors...

Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Why go all the way back to NC when there's plenty of it right here?"

Sorry... You did say they were sailors...
Yes, sir and you haven't seen more than 40 people take one step back in such a sychronized manner in you life.
Old Sun Aug 21, 2011, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Yes, sir and you haven't seen more than 40 people take one step back in such a sychronized manner in you life.
Funny...

You know I'm just messin', Mike.