Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 06, 2011, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4 View Post
Here is what happened:

While U1 was sweeping plate, offensive coach in dugout stepped out of the dugout and told the batter who was walking to the plate to hit the ball. U1 told the coach that that was his offensive conference for the inning. The 3rd base coach did not hear this. Later in the inning play was stopped so 3rd base coach started talking to the next batter while U1 was in the infield. When U1 turned around and saw the coach talking to the next batter he immediately told the coach that he could not talk to the batter since they had already used their offensive conference for the inning. The third base coach got mad because he did not know about the previous conference. The defensive coach ask if the batter is out since the offensive team had violated the second offensive conference rule. U1 told him no and told the girls to play ball. Defensive coach got mad and ask for the UIC to be called to the field. The UIC came to the field, but determined that U1 handle the issue correctly. Of course every play from that point on was a fuss.
Well, you have a choice, not call the first one a conference which it doesn't sound like it is; or eject the coach for the 2nd conference. However, in no case is a player ruled out.
Old Sat Aug 06, 2011, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here is what happened:

While U1 was sweeping plate, offensive coach in dugout stepped out of the dugout and told the batter who was walking to the plate to hit the ball. U1 told the coach that that was his offensive conference for the inning. The 3rd base coach did not hear this. Later in the inning play was stopped so 3rd base coach started talking to the next batter while U1 was in the infield. When U1 turned around and saw the coach talking to the next batter he immediately told the coach that he could not talk to the batter since they had already used their offensive conference for the inning. The third base coach got mad because he did not know about the previous conference. The defensive coach ask if the batter is out since the offensive team had violated the second offensive conference rule. U1 told him no and told the girls to play ball. Defensive coach got mad and ask for the UIC to be called to the field. The UIC came to the field, but determined that U1 handle the issue correctly. Of course every play from that point on was a fuss.
CHARGED CONFERENCE: When a team representative requests a suspension of play or delays the game for the purpose of delivering a message to another team member.

I'm failing to see how either of these was a conference.
Old Sat Aug 06, 2011, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
CHARGED CONFERENCE: When a team representative requests a suspension of play or delays the game for the purpose of delivering a message to another team member.

I'm failing to see how either of these was a conference.
I agree. From the description, it sounds like it might have been OOO.
Old Sat Aug 06, 2011, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Here is what happened:

I guess you are using "U1" to represent the plate umpire? Typically, U1 is the 1B umpire and U3 is the 3B umpire.
Old Sat Aug 06, 2011, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Yes. I stand corrected.
Old Sat Aug 06, 2011, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Well, you have a choice, not call the first one a conference which it doesn't sound like it is; or eject the coach for the 2nd conference. However, in no case is a player ruled out.
I agree.

I might nudge it along with a, "let's keep it moving, coach," but if it's just a couple of words to the next batter, I've got nothing.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sat Aug 06, 2011, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

How can it possibly be a conf if PU is dusting plate? Time is already out.
Old Sun Aug 07, 2011, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Why ???

Quote:
Here is what happened:

While U1 was sweeping plate, offensive coach in dugout stepped out of the dugout and told the batter who was walking to the plate to hit the ball. U1 told the coach that that was his offensive conference for the inning.
Do you agree with this call ? By the way you write this it would seem to be a power trip by the U1?
Old Sun Aug 07, 2011, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Over officiating is what that is. Just wrong.
Old Sun Aug 07, 2011, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Gotta ask. Was he in the proper position or did the player just throw the ball somewhere she shouldn't have?
Wild throw. 1st baseman didn't realize they had 3 outs and tried to make a play at the plate. PU had taken his mask off and took a step towards his water @ 3rd base dugout. Catcher went to dugout, 1st base threw the ball hard trying to make a play. PU took his eyes off the ball, next thing he knows he was looking at the sky. CAT scan confirmed concussion, no more games @ tourney.
Old Sun Aug 07, 2011, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here is what happened:

I know the coaches involved, didn't realize it was them till last night. Strike4's account of the event is accurate as far as I can tell.

Not the first account during the weekend where this particular umpire had an issue. The other time was with another umpire. Possible case of short man's disease.