The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 26, 2011, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Reasons for Rules

We all have an understanding of the logic and reason for the existence of certain rules, LBR, IFF, D3K, and countless others.

In some cases, there may be "old wive's tales" which I suspect behind why it is a dead ball strike when the batter gets hit by a pitch while in the act of swinging. The way I heard it told was back in the day, players would take a full swing at a pitch, and purposely allow the ball to hit off their arms/hands, equating to a bunted ball, and that some umpires got fooled by this trick and it was deemed unfair to the defense. Whether true or not, it makes for a good story.

I am interested in researching this topic further and haven't figured out the right search term for google to find a source for this type of information.

Perhaps we can have a fun thread here with this if others have interesting, factual and even unprovable logic for other rules.

What say ye?
Old Tue Jul 26, 2011, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
We all have an understanding of the logic and reason for the existence of certain rules, LBR, IFF, D3K, and countless others.

In some cases, there may be "old wive's tales" which I suspect behind why it is a dead ball strike when the batter gets hit by a pitch while in the act of swinging. The way I heard it told was back in the day, players would take a full swing at a pitch, and purposely allow the ball to hit off their arms/hands, equating to a bunted ball, and that some umpires got fooled by this trick and it was deemed unfair to the defense. Whether true or not, it makes for a good story.

I am interested in researching this topic further and haven't figured out the right search term for google to find a source for this type of information.

Perhaps we can have a fun thread here with this if others have interesting, factual and even unprovable logic for other rules.

What say ye?
I say the ball is dead because it hit the batter and has nothing to do with whether the batter attempted to strike the ball or not.

If you keep the ball live, the defense may not have access to the ball. You think batters intentionally take a hit now, what do you think would happen if the runners could advance while the ball is rolling away from the catcher?
Old Tue Jul 26, 2011, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Don't disagree, but you are using what I would refer to as "current thinking" and very logically so.

I am pursuit of rule origins, some of which may differ from current thinking and interpretations, and source of humor.
Old Tue Jul 26, 2011, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Heck, even make something up.
Old Tue Jul 26, 2011, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't disagree, but you are using what I would refer to as "current thinking" and very logically so.

I am pursuit of rule origins, some of which may differ from current thinking and interpretations, and source of humor.
No, I checked the rules from 1936

Rule 9 - FAIRLY DELIVERED BALL

Other Cases When Strike Is Called
Sec.4. A pitched ball at which the batsman strikes but misses and which touches any part of his person.

Rule 21 - BALL DEAD, NOT IN PLAY

If pitched Ball Strikes Batsman
(1) If a pitched ball touches any part of the batsman's person or clothing while the batsman is standing in his position, whether the ball be struck at or not.
Old Tue Jul 26, 2011, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Good deal.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2011, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
No, I checked the rules from 1936

Rule 9 - FAIRLY DELIVERED BALL

Other Cases When Strike Is Called
Sec.4. A pitched ball at which the batsman strikes but misses and which touches any part of his person.

Rule 21 - BALL DEAD, NOT IN PLAY

If pitched Ball Strikes Batsman
(1) If a pitched ball touches any part of the batsman's person or clothing while the batsman is standing in his position, whether the ball be struck at or not.
Wow, I had heard references to your age, but you still have your 1936 Book of Rules?!
Old Wed Jul 27, 2011, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpteenth View Post
Wow, I had heard references to your age, but you still have your 1936 Book of Rules?!
He's a co-author.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2011, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

OK, here is what got me thinking about this.
Why is a CR prohibited from entering the game as a substitute in the same inning?
Old Wed Jul 27, 2011, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why is a CR prohibited from entering the game as a substitute in the same inning?
Because umpires needed another minutia to remember.

BTW, I don't think you'll find this in an old copy of OBR!
Old Wed Jul 27, 2011, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't know if this is the historical reason, but here's why I'd keep this rule. Suppose you have on your team Michael Johnson. But it turns out he can't hit or field. You have your pitcher get on each inning and then you put Johnson on and he proceeds to steal on the next three pitches and score. All fair enough since the rules let you CR with speed. Then it's bottom seven and you're down two runs. The pitcher gets on and three pitches later Johnson scores. This now makes Johnson ineligible as a sub so he can't replace the next batter to reach and keeps him from being used more than once through the lineup in that inning.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2011, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

What if it was Michael Jackson???
Old Wed Jul 27, 2011, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What if it was Michael Jackson???
Then you'd probably end up getting to use 8-3-D for the first time in your career.
Old Wed Jul 27, 2011, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
Then you'd probably end up getting to use 8-3-D for the first time in your career.
Does moon walking count as running?
Old Wed Jul 27, 2011, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would think so that the player would not basically occupy/take part in the game under the banner to two slots in the batting order in the same half-inning..