The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Division I Softball

How many of you here work Division I college ball? I worked a game last week and a Division I college coach saw me work and wants to offer me a tryout in the fall for a possibility to work Division I ball.

Advice? What can I expect? Is this the longest of long shots?

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBlueASA View Post
How many of you here work Division I college ball? I worked a game last week and a Division I college coach saw me work and wants to offer me a tryout in the fall for a possibility to work Division I ball.

Advice? What can I expect? Is this the longest of long shots?
The coach offered you a try out??? That isn't the way it is done in these parts. The umpire coordinators are responsible for umpires for their respective conferences/areas.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Typically, it's the coordinator or a "respected" member recommending you to a coordinator - or even a college coach - who recommends you for a look. From there, you'll need to follow the try-out scenario that the umpire organization follows.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

The coach told my assignor that he would like to get me a tryout this fall for Division I ball. How that's set up or who that is that does it I don't know. This is all new to me. Which is why I asked...

I have been asked to do a tryout for Division II and III ball but my work schedule didn't offer me the opportunity to go this past year. However, I was told that this is Division I ball and if I am given the chance to take it. I get the impression that this doesn't happen alot.

Again, why I asked....

So now what? Besides the fact that if I get the chance to go, I will definitely go. But what can I expect? Travel? Schedule? Is this something that anyone else has experience with?

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Typically, it's the coordinator or a "respected" member recommending you to a coordinator - or even a college coach - who recommends you for a look. From there, you'll need to follow the try-out scenario that the umpire organization follows.
This is what happened....the college coach is well respected and he said he would like to set me up with a fall tryout. He mentioned this to my assignor, who passed the word to me tonight. Thing is that my assignor has NO connection to Division I ball.

Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Do you currently work a DII, DII, NAIA, or JUCO schedule?
Old Mon Jul 11, 2011, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
Based on the fact that you are on LI, there are not a ton of D-I schools in your neighborhood. Your schedule, like anywhere, would probably increase the more you can travel and be available. D-I conference schools are more spread out than the lower divisions, so if you took a conference schedule, you can expect to travel a great deal more. If you only work the NYC area schools, I would expect your schedule would be limited to some degree, probably more non-conference games, but I beleive there is always a need for 'local' umpires due to the difficulty of traveling into the area from the North, South, and West.

Based on the schools, I can think of at least two conference coordinators that assign in the area; could be a third that I am not as familiar with. The two that I do know work together well so getting onto one board is a great first step to the other to expand your options.

I could provide additional detailed information if you would like. PM me and we can discuss... and congratulations on the recommendation