The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NCAA Division I Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/74271-ncaa-division-i-softball.html)

LIUmp Fri Jul 08, 2011 06:39pm

NCAA Division I Softball

How many of you here work Division I college ball? I worked a game last week and a Division I college coach saw me work and wants to offer me a tryout in the fall for a possibility to work Division I ball.

Advice? What can I expect? Is this the longest of long shots?

Skahtboi Fri Jul 08, 2011 06:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIBlueASA (Post 771384)
How many of you here work Division I college ball? I worked a game last week and a Division I college coach saw me work and wants to offer me a tryout in the fall for a possibility to work Division I ball.

Advice? What can I expect? Is this the longest of long shots?

The coach offered you a try out??? That isn't the way it is done in these parts. The umpire coordinators are responsible for umpires for their respective conferences/areas.

Steve M Fri Jul 08, 2011 06:52pm

Typically, it's the coordinator or a "respected" member recommending you to a coordinator - or even a college coach - who recommends you for a look. From there, you'll need to follow the try-out scenario that the umpire organization follows.

LIUmp Fri Jul 08, 2011 06:55pm

The coach told my assignor that he would like to get me a tryout this fall for Division I ball. How that's set up or who that is that does it I don't know. This is all new to me. Which is why I asked...

I have been asked to do a tryout for Division II and III ball but my work schedule didn't offer me the opportunity to go this past year. However, I was told that this is Division I ball and if I am given the chance to take it. I get the impression that this doesn't happen alot.

Again, why I asked....

So now what? Besides the fact that if I get the chance to go, I will definitely go. But what can I expect? Travel? Schedule? Is this something that anyone else has experience with?

LIUmp Fri Jul 08, 2011 06:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 771388)
Typically, it's the coordinator or a "respected" member recommending you to a coordinator - or even a college coach - who recommends you for a look. From there, you'll need to follow the try-out scenario that the umpire organization follows.

This is what happened....the college coach is well respected and he said he would like to set me up with a fall tryout. He mentioned this to my assignor, who passed the word to me tonight. Thing is that my assignor has NO connection to Division I ball.

KJUmp Fri Jul 08, 2011 07:41pm

Do you currently work a DII, DII, NAIA, or JUCO schedule?

CelticNHBlue Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:27am

Based on the fact that you are on LI, there are not a ton of D-I schools in your neighborhood. Your schedule, like anywhere, would probably increase the more you can travel and be available. D-I conference schools are more spread out than the lower divisions, so if you took a conference schedule, you can expect to travel a great deal more. If you only work the NYC area schools, I would expect your schedule would be limited to some degree, probably more non-conference games, but I beleive there is always a need for 'local' umpires due to the difficulty of traveling into the area from the North, South, and West.

Based on the schools, I can think of at least two conference coordinators that assign in the area; could be a third that I am not as familiar with. The two that I do know work together well so getting onto one board is a great first step to the other to expand your options.

I could provide additional detailed information if you would like. PM me and we can discuss... and congratulations on the recommendation