The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Plate Meeting

How many of you have your mask with you at the plate meeting versus hanging it on the backstop?
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Haven't called any FP yet, but I know better than to leave it hanging on the backstop.

Tuck it under your left arm with the top facing your partner.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

I've never hung my mask on a backstop in my like!

Or laid it on the ground, or walked around with it propped up on top of my head like a catcher (but I've seen guys do both in recent weeks).

I keep it tucked under my left arm.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post

One of my fellow umpires made something similar to that. Her arms are short, so she can't get her arm around the mask.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
OK here it probably comes. What is to be gained by having it with you for the plate meeting? What makes that right versus hanging on fence or laying on ground? Oh!!! make sure you have your indicator in your hand also. That makes about as much sense as the mask thing. Dave
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Ground ? Fence ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
OK here it probably comes. What is to be gained by having it with you for the plate meeting? What makes that right versus hanging on fence or laying on ground? Oh!!! make sure you have your indicator in your hand also. That makes about as much sense as the mask thing. Dave
Professionalism comes to mind.

Not a big fan of the belt hook thing, but not totally against it. We have a handicapped umpire (only one arm) that uses the belt hook. So their is some good reasons for it. But even he doesn't put his mask on the ground or on the fence. And I would think he sorta carries the best built in excuse or reason that could be found

But then again if you're not into that apprearance can help build the first impression. Go ahead lay it on the ground.

My dad was a carpenter he always laid his hammer on the ground when he was talking to the customer. NOT !!!
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Professionalism comes to mind.

Not a big fan of the belt hook thing, but not totally against it. We have a handicapped umpire (only one arm) that uses the belt hook. So their is some good reasons for it. But even he doesn't put his mask on the ground or on the fence. And I would think he sorta carries the best built in excuse or reason that could be found

But then again if you're not into that apprearance can help build the first impression. Go ahead lay it on the ground.

My dad was a carpenter he always laid his hammer on the ground when he was talking to the customer. NOT !!!
I wonder if you are in the camp that says it is ok if you are wearing sunglasses, and a coach approaches you to go ahead and place them above the bill of your cap. That doesn't seem professional to me, but maybe you don't either. Dave
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 12:25pm

I always tuck my mask under my left arm. Even when I'm in the dugout checking gear before the game.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wonder if you are in the camp that says it is ok if you are wearing sunglasses, and a coach approaches you to go ahead and place them above the bill of your cap. That doesn't seem professional to me, but maybe you don't either. Dave

Not sure what your point is here....

I never really even questioned it, but all the training I remember has taught me.

1) you do not put your mask on the ground, hang it on your fence or (while we are at it) hang it by the throat protector over your ***.

2) You remove your sunglasses when talking wth a coach, but do not place them above the bill of your cap (ever during a game).
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Sun Glasses

Quote:

No I am not of that camp. Thanks for asking
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Never know until I ask. Dave
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, I tuck mine under my right arm since I'm left-handed.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
I always tuck my mask under my left arm. Even when I'm in the dugout checking gear before the game.
This I've found to be a bit of a problem....esp. when doing a college game and checking bats against the approved list. For now I've opted to set my mask down on the bench in the dugout while we're conducting the bat check.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
This I've found to be a bit of a problem....esp. when doing a college game and checking bats against the approved list. For now I've opted to set my mask down on the bench in the dugout while we're conducting the bat check.
I am assuming you mean two man mechanics when you say that.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.