The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Question

This is something I had happen awhile back. I would like to see what others think I should have done. Here the situation, I'm PU for a Junior League tourney game, during the game, B1 requests time while in the box & a runner is on 2. Since the pitcher (for team A) wasn't into his motion yet, I grant it. 2 pitchs later, B1 calls time again, F1 in motion, time not granted, B1 steps out, F1 stops! I call a balk and award accordingly. Team A's manager comes out to discuss, I explain to him my call, he doesn't agree, goes back to DO. No other problems and team A ends up losing, and no protest.

Next morning I'm FU for the next game. Team A's manager is at the plate meeting and proceeds to ask the PU about the balk call I called in the previous game, says and I quote " the guy we had yesterday was a real A$$hole about this, how are you going to call it?" I don't even remember what my partner said because I was standing there with my mouth open. I don't know if he didn't realize it was me standing there or if was really that stupid. I just let it go.

Did I do the right thing or should I have tossed him right there at the plate meeting?

Did
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 08:52pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by bbump82
This is something I had happen awhile back. I would like to see what others think I should have done. Here the situation, I'm PU for a Junior League tourney game, during the game, B1 requests time while in the box & a runner is on 2. Since the pitcher (for team A) wasn't into his motion yet, I grant it. 2 pitchs later, B1 calls time again, F1 in motion, time not granted, B1 steps out, F1 stops! I call a balk and award accordingly. Team A's manager comes out to discuss, I explain to him my call, he doesn't agree, goes back to DO. No other problems and team A ends up losing, and no protest.

Next morning I'm FU for the next game. Team A's manager is at the plate meeting and proceeds to ask the PU about the balk call I called in the previous game, says and I quote " the guy we had yesterday was a real A$$hole about this, how are you going to call it?" I don't even remember what my partner said because I was standing there with my mouth open. I don't know if he didn't realize it was me standing there or if was really that stupid. I just let it go.

Did I do the right thing or should I have tossed him right there at the plate meeting?

Did

I would have tossed him immediately. In fact, I would have tossed him so far and hard that he would be in permanent orbit around ths Sun.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

You were wrong on the balk call.

If after the pitcher starts his windup or comes to a "set position" with a runner on, he does not go through with his pitch because the batter has stepped out of the box, it shall not be called a balk. Both the pitcher and batter have violated a rule and the umpire shall call time and both the batter and pitcher start over from "scratch."

About the next day, I say toss the guy.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
You were wrong on the balk call.

If after the pitcher starts his windup or comes to a "set position" with a runner on, he does not go through with his pitch because the batter has stepped out of the box, it shall not be called a balk. Both the pitcher and batter have violated a rule and the umpire shall call time and both the batter and pitcher start over from "scratch."

I learned this after the game.

About the next day, I say toss the guy.
Locally, nobody believes that I didn't toss him. I still think that he didn't know it was me doing the field.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Def wrong about the balk call. It is just one call though, but it was incorrect. That rule got me in some "discussions" one night when I called time and did not award a balk. My personal belief is that rule should be changed and a strike called on the batter because he violated the rule first by stepping out. Anyway, thats that.

Plate meeting, def run the guy. I have seen it done before, in MLB Hal McCrae (sp???) was managing Tampa Bay and was upset about a call the night before and was thrown out at the plate meeting the next afternoon. So if you question is should it have been done, my answer is yes, or if it is done, my answer is yes.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bbump82

Did
I recommend that anytime a coach comes out to discuss a ruling, that you explain it to him, and listen to what he has to say. He may be right. Then make your ruling and look it up when you get home or back to the car. You were wrong on the balk call and if you look it up, odds are you will never forget it.

And I bet the guy knew exactly who you were, and where you were last night, so dump him when he calls you an a$$hole.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Hahahahaha,

" . . . recommend that anytime a coach comes out to discuss a ruling, that you explain it to him, and listen to what he has to say. He may be right."

And if this is your true feeling then I understand why I feel you are not an umpire.

Nice try DG . . . I am still waiting for you to help someone.

BTW, I know the RULES!

Tee
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Hahahahaha,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
" . . . recommend that anytime a coach comes out to discuss a ruling, that you explain it to him, and listen to what he has to say. He may be right."

And if this is your true feeling then I understand why I feel you are not an umpire.

Nice try DG . . . I am still waiting for you to help someone.

BTW, I know the RULES!

Tee
A guy who has made an incorrect ruling might realize it if he listens hard enough, and anyone who is not 100% confident that he knows all the rules should LOOK IT UP WHEN HE GETS HOME. And I guess you knowitall so need to look it up. What an arrogant attitude. You still don't grasp how little I care what you think of me.

[Edited by DG on Aug 4th, 2004 at 06:48 AM]
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Behave children!

If the manager was so sure about the ruling being wrong then why didn't he protest? (I always throw the manager under the bus on these type of calls)

Plus, throw the A$%H&*E out! Then, as he's walking off, ask him why he didn't protest, because he was right all along. Both barrels man, he earned it.

"Didn't want to do it. Felt I owed it to him."
Judge Smails
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 05:40am
Official Forum Member

SUCK IT UP

You blew the call BIG time. The manager wasn't talking to you.

Being wrong is one thing. Being wrong and arrogant is totally different.

If you can't take a little heat. Get the hell out of the kitchen.

Most importantly. Learn from your mistakes. Tossing the coach will just confirm what he already thinks. Be above that and send him home on YOUR TERMS, not his.
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Hahahaha,

DG wrote:

"You still don't grasp how little I care what you think of me."

Tee answers:

You must care enough to keep answering everytime I post to you.

Tee intones:

Not only am I arrogant, I'm cocky and conceited and pretty durn successful.

DG, why don't you just ask the coaches to make your tough calls for you.

What a klutz.

Tee
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
SUCK IT UP

Most importantly. Learn from your mistakes. Tossing the coach will just confirm what he already thinks. Be above that and send him home on YOUR TERMS, not his.
So if you ever blow a call, you allow the manager to call you an a$$hole?
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:
SUCK IT UP

So if you ever blow a call, you allow the manager to call you an a$$hole?
God , I learned this one some fifty years ago. Grow up. "Stick and stone's may break your bones, NAMES will never hurt you".

HE WASN'T TALKING TO HIM.

Don't go trying that macho umpire crap on me.
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

I think that a certain amount of respect needs to be in order from umpires towards coaches and coaches towards umpires.

Whether or not the coach was talking to the plate umpire, he still referred to the FU as an A$$HOLE in front of the FIELD UMPIRE!

If someone tells you that your partner is an a$$hole in front of you and your partner, I would hope that one of you would have the stones to TOSS HIS A$$!!!

No macho umpire crap, just common courtesy not being followed and a coach making it personal, which should get him tossed EVERY TIME! No exceptions.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:

God , I learned this one some fifty years ago. Grow up. "Stick and stone's may break your bones, NAMES will never hurt you".

Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kaliix
I think that a certain amount of respect needs to be in order from umpires towards coaches and coaches towards umpires.

Whether or not the coach was talking to the plate umpire, he still referred to the FU as an A$$HOLE in front of the FIELD UMPIRE!

If someone tells you that your partner is an a$$hole in front of you and your partner, I would hope that one of you would have the stones to TOSS HIS A$$!!!

No macho umpire crap, just common courtesy not being followed and a coach making it personal, which should get him tossed EVERY TIME! No exceptions.

Quote:
Quote:

Have officiated over 300 contests at various levels in the past year, and three people where asked to vacate the area. Please don't try to patronize me on how to handle this. If you believe that you know better, GO FOR IT.