The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Incorrect instructions at plate meeting...

I'm BU. Partner is conducting the plate meeting, and for some reason is going into detail on the courtesy runner rule.

He explains it incorrectly, stating that once the player used as a courtesy runner enters the game, that the position she was running for (e.g. pitcher) can no longer have a courtesy runner. I keep quiet.

Comments?
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I'm BU. Partner is conducting the plate meeting, and for some reason is going into detail on the courtesy runner rule.

He explains it incorrectly, stating that once the player used as a courtesy runner enters the game, that the position she was running for (e.g. pitcher) can no longer have a courtesy runner. I keep quiet.

Comments?
Was this the same guy that did the punch-out on strike 2?

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Was this the same guy that did the punch-out on strike 2?
Yup. I hadn't worked with him before. Other than these two things, he called a very good game. Near as I could tell, the CR issue never came up.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
I would have waited till the coaches cleared out and told him privately that he misspoke and that he could correct it if the situation comes up in the course of the game.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I might have said: "You mean she can not have that player as CR anymore"
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

A couple of weeks ago, in the plate meeting before the state 12u Babe Ruth final (I was BU), the PU refreshed the coaches and captains on several ASA rules, mainly regarding INT and OBS. Not a usual topic for a plate meeting, but the main problem was, these were in areas where BR is significantly different from ASA. I could see reminding everyone of BR rules, since most teams hadn't played under that code, but a specific pre-game reminder that was wrong seemed to be asking for trouble.

But I kept my mouth shut, figuring that the chances were that the game would be a blowout and that nothing would come up. Luckily, it was, and nothing did.

Last year, in a Pennsylvania showcase with teams from Alaska, Texas, Colorado, Georgia, New England, etc., the PU, after going over the field ground rules, reminded the coaches and captains that it's "Two from the field, one from the mound." Everybody (except me) nodded in agreement.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

Why do umpires believe it is their responsibility to "remind" teams of what they are already supposed to know? Same thing with pre-game warnings. "I don't what to hear this" or "I don't want to see that" should never be part of a pre-game meeting.

A meeting should be introductions, check and double check and administer the exchange of line-up cards, address any special rules for THAT particular field, answer any questions as would pertain to those ground rules and finally, conduct the coin toss, if applicable.

This meeting is NOT a rules clinic, NOT a platform to warn of pet peeves, NOT a situation where an umpire threatens teams if they do something the umpire doesn't like, etc.
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

I had a PU tell the teams what the awards for out-of-play would be. Problem was his awards were wrong. Because recently I had had a BAD game with a partner where he accused me of stealling his call, I did't say anything. The real problem was it came into play. Lesson learned. I will now gently offer the proper awards.

Bugg
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the comments.

I agree the issue should never have been brought up in the first place at a plate meeting. He had a fairly lengthy plate speech, but this was the only error in it; he just said more than needed to be said about several other things, too. (JMO)

I chose to keep quiet since the "harm" would be minor and even unlikely to come up, whereas a disagreement between umpires at the plate meeting would damage our crediblity as a team.

And, as I said, he called a very good game.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
I would have waited till the coaches cleared out and told him privately that he misspoke and that he could correct it if the situation comes up in the course of the game.
The last two weeks, I have had the opportunity to work with umpires from different areas of the country that I would not normally work with. I had a situation where my partner explained an NCAA rule for catches against and over the fence that differs from the ASA rules we were playing under.

After the plate meeting, I told him that he explained the NCAA rule..after thinking for a few seconds, he agreed. As this was a B level game, it did not come into play at all during the game.
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA rule for catches against and over the fence that differs from the ASA rules

I do both NCAA and ASA. What is it?
Old Wed Aug 01, 2007, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota

Comments?
Dakota did your partner also give the defenition of a force play. Just kidding but unless your doing a very low level of ball there's no reason for explaning the C/R rule unless asked by a coach or player ,just my two cents.
I give them the basics
1)No Jewelry
2)Good sportsmanship
3)Ground rules for that field.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
NCAA rule for catches against and over the fence that differs from the ASA rules

I do both NCAA and ASA. What is it?
NCAA rules - 1-22:

A catch shall not be credited when:
f. The fielder is standing on the fence as it is lying on the ground when she
contacts the ball.
(copied from the NCAA rulebook online)

The ASA rule allows the fielder to be standing on a fence that is lying on the ground and make a legal catch of a fly ball for an out.

I am paraphrasing the ASA rule as I do not have the book handy right now. Perhaps someone can post the ASA rule reference.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2007, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

The ASA interp comes from RS 20.

Quote:
20. FALLING OVER THE FENCE ON A CATCH.
The fence is an extension of the playing field, which makes it legal for a player to climb the fence and make the catch. When a player catches a ball in the air and their momentum carries them through or over the fence, the catch is legal, the batter-runner is out, the ball is dead, and with fewer than two outs all runners are advanced one base without liability to be put out.

Guidelines are as follows:
1. When a player catches the ball before they touch the ground outside the playing area, the catch is legal, or
2. When a player catches the ball after they touch the ground outside the playing area, it is not a catch. When a collapsible, portable fence is used and a defensive player is standing on the fence when the catch is made, it is a legal catch. A defensive player may climb a fence to make a legal catch; therefore a defensive player should also be able to stand on a fence that has fallen or is falling to the ground. As long as the defensive player has not stepped outside the playing area, the other side of fence, the catch is legal.
Old Wed Aug 01, 2007, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Thanks. In fact, one NCAA field I worked on did have a temporary fence, and the wind kept blowing sections of it over. (And there were several homers in that doubleheader, too.) Glad I didn't have a fielder standing on the flattened fence, or I would have erroneously called it an out as per ASA. I better review my NCAA book.