The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

ASA vs USSSA softball?

What is the difference in associations, I see many teams on our area with USSSA tournament play and not ASA? What is the difference for teams and umpires?
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybo View Post
What is the difference in associations, I see many teams on our area with USSSA tournament play and not ASA? What is the difference for teams and umpires?
SP or FP? In both, there are several rules differences. ASA has a system in place to train umpires on the national, state, and local level. USSSA doesn't, unless they have established one in the past couple of years. ASA umpires wear powder blue over navy as a rule (official uniform), though the grey pants are used in many areas now, as are the navy shirts. USSSA has a wide variety of shirt colors that umpires can use in a given area, though red over black or grey is the traditional uniform.

It has been my experience that in my local area, the training of umpires is a moot point, because most work both ASA and USSSA. However, that is not saying it the same everywhere.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
SP or FP? In both, there are several rules differences. ASA has a system in place to train umpires on the national, state, and local level. USSSA doesn't, unless they have established one in the past couple of years. ASA umpires wear powder blue over navy as a rule (official uniform), though the grey pants are used in many areas now, as are the navy shirts. USSSA has a wide variety of shirt colors that umpires can use in a given area, though red over black or grey is the traditional uniform.

It has been my experience that in my local area, the training of umpires is a moot point, because most work both ASA and USSSA. However, that is not saying it the same everywhere.
ASA provides the bulk of the training. I've found NCAA to provide very detailed training - but the groups working NCAA ball have certain expectations and do not accept jst anyone as an umpire. I am not aware of any competing summer ball sanctioning body ) PONY, U-Trip, NSA, ...) that provide ANY training, let alone equal training. And this is coming from someone who recognizes that district 4 in Pennsylvania does not provide for the advancement of umpires. What uiniform is required or preferred is pretty much irrelevant, as many of us work under several different sanctioning bodies.

Last edited by Steve M; Fri Jul 08, 2011 at 06:49pm. Reason: I hate it when I fat-finger something