The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
I am assuming you mean two man mechanics when you say that.
Yes.
Heck the best part of being PU in three man is the fact that your two BU's get to do the bat checks.
Unfortunately, DIII in my neck of the woods is all two man during the regular season.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Yes.
Heck the best part of being PU in three man is the fact that your two BU's get to do the bat checks.
Unfortunately, DIII in my neck of the woods is all two man during the regular season.
Same for DII, too. But PU in 3-man in college ball or 4-man in high school championships - I'm all fo PU holding the bat list and letting the BU's conduct the inspection.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes.
Just out of curiosity, why would the PU not be involved in the bat check? Personally, I'd rather be shoulder-to-shoulder with my partners.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Same for DII, too. But PU in 3-man in college ball or 4-man in high school championships - I'm all fo PU holding the bat list and letting the BU's conduct the inspection.
That's how we do it...PU guy handles the list the BU the bats. Early in the season though there were way too many schools that did not have their bats highlighted on their list, or even have a printed list on site. So we're using ours (7 pages if you print on both sides), wind blowing, cold as a you know what, "dugout" with no roof and chain link fence for walls, pages flapping in the wind, serial numbers that are next to impossible to read or find on the bat due to wear and tear, enough bats to equip two teams......well you get the picture.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's how we do it...PU guy handles the list the BU the bats. Early in the season though there were way too many schools that did not have their bats highlighted on their list, or even have a printed list on site. So we're using ours (7 pages if you print on both sides), wind blowing, cold as a you know what, "dugout" with no roof and chain link fence for walls, pages flapping in the wind, serial numbers that are next to impossible to read or find on the bat due to wear and tear, enough bats to equip two teams......well you get the picture.
Sounds familiar - been there, done that.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
How many of you have your mask with you at the plate meeting versus hanging it on the backstop?
My mask has three locations when not in my equipment bag: worn properly on my head; in my hand; under my arm.
Old Fri Jul 08, 2011, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
My mask has three locations when not in my equipment bag: worn properly on my head; in my hand; under my arm.

Yep...that sounds about right.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat Jul 09, 2011, 04:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Just out of curiosity, why would the PU not be involved in the bat check? Personally, I'd rather be shoulder-to-shoulder with my partners.
Proper pre-game procedure for NCAA 3 man.
BU's have responsibility for bat check. While that's going on, PU checks field....lines, distances, fences, trouble spots etc.
Old Sat Jul 09, 2011, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Proper pre-game procedure for NCAA 3 man.
BU's have responsibility for bat check. While that's going on, PU checks field....lines, distances, fences, trouble spots etc.
And in ASA, the equipment check is done by the crew. NBD
Old Sat Jul 09, 2011, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Deleted due to the fact that it really didn't add much to the conversation....

Last edited by HugoTafurst; Sat Jul 09, 2011 at 12:22pm.
Old Sat Jul 09, 2011, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Glad this thread came up. I've never, ever thought about this but what you all are saying makes sence. I usually have a bottle of water that I take with me and I put the water in the fence and my mask on the water bottle. Been to several camps - state HS, college, ASA National....no one's ever said anything about it.

Now - I know.
Old Sat Jul 09, 2011, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
While many say what I do is 'wrong' or not the proper way, this works for me.

After sweeping home plate and requesting the head coaches, I place my mask on home plate with the 'wire' side facing down and the pads facing up. I also stand the mask with the throat protector pointing up where it 'raises' the mask almost to the two point contact with the plate. I prefer to have both my hands free at the plate conference, its just a personal preference.
Old Sat Jul 09, 2011, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
While many say what I do is 'wrong' or not the proper way, this works for me.

After sweeping home plate and requesting the head coaches, I place my mask on home plate with the 'wire' side facing down and the pads facing up. I also stand the mask with the throat protector pointing up where it 'raises' the mask almost to the two point contact with the plate. I prefer to have both my hands free at the plate conference, its just a personal preference.
Hope you don't have a coach who expectorates into the wind.
Old Sat Jul 09, 2011, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
I prefer to have both my hands free at the plate conference, its just a personal preference.
So do I, that is why it is under may arm.
Old Sat Jul 09, 2011, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
Glad this thread came up. I've never, ever thought about this but what you all are saying makes sence. I usually have a bottle of water that I take with me and I put the water in the fence and my mask on the water bottle. Been to several camps - state HS, college, ASA National....no one's ever said anything about it.

Now - I know.
I too am glad this came up. I never gave any thought that hanging it on the fence or laying it on the ground next to the fence was unprofessional. I have never been dinged for doing this. Heck in my part of the country, I never have seen an umpire not hang it on the fence or lay it down and have been umpiring closing in on 30 years. An old dog can be taught new tricks, it just may take awhile for me to get it through my thick skull. Dave