The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 14, 2011, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

The Other Coach

Home team coach in 3B dugout (team on offense) calls time to approach PU about something that happened near the plate on the just-ended play. When the play ends, you, BU, are in or near C (or worse ... in B), as the 3BCoach for the visitors walks toward your partner perhaps 1 step behind the home coach.

What do you, as BU, do from either B or C position?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 14, 2011, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
I would call to the base coach and keep calling to him, while I am walking up to him and explain that only one coach at a time with my partner. Keep it low, calm and nothing should happen negatively.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2011, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Home team coach in 3B dugout (team on offense) calls time to approach PU about something that happened near the plate on the just-ended play. When the play ends, you, BU, are in or near C (or worse ... in B), as the 3BCoach for the visitors walks toward your partner perhaps 1 step behind the home coach.

Walk toward the group act like a sheep dog to cut out the 3B coach.

If necessary, tell him he'll get his turn as soon as they are through...
Old Tue Jun 14, 2011, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

I'd call over to the 3B coach and motion for him to come to me instead, whereupon I say, "hey... Let's give them a moment to talk first. If you need to talk with [partner], you'll have your chance when s/he's done."

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jun 14, 2011, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

It took a sec for me to react, as I couldn't believe this guy didn't already know not to do this. He never reacted to my verbal attention-getting-attempt and seemed surprised when I intercepted him about 2 steps from partner. Had to run the last couple of steps. I said, "Coach, wait your turn." He said, "I just want to hear what he's saying." I said, "Coach, back up a bit and wait your turn - if something happens you'll get your say when they are done." Finally he really focuses on me for the first time and ejects himself with "What's your F#&$*ing problem?"

It blew up so fast I was a bit flabbergasted. Truly have never come across a coach that didn't know he was not welcome in the other coach's conference.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 14, 2011, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It took a sec for me to react, as I couldn't believe this guy didn't already know not to do this. He never reacted to my verbal attention-getting-attempt and seemed surprised when I intercepted him about 2 steps from partner. Had to run the last couple of steps. I said, "Coach, wait your turn." He said, "I just want to hear what he's saying." I said, "Coach, back up a bit and wait your turn - if something happens you'll get your say when they are done." Finally he really focuses on me for the first time and ejects himself with "What's your F#&$*ing problem?"

It blew up so fast I was a bit flabbergasted. Truly have never come across a coach that didn't know he was not welcome in the other coach's conference.
I think it might have caught me off guard too.......a step or two behind the offensive coach, it will be hard to corral him before he gets there. However, if you are either in B or C, you also need to rely on your partner to give him a nudge away from the action to allow you time for you to get there to help him out.

Yeah.......the defensive coach screwed the pooch with his answer to you.......sucks for him.

Joel
Old Wed Jun 15, 2011, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

I've had it once happened. I was in C and ran in like he!!. Even the UIC for the tournament saw me running as if I was in pain after a bee-bite. I was earlier than the coach at homeplate and could hold him away. It was a Men's FP-game. And as you know people aren't always that friendly to each other in those games...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Wed Jun 15, 2011, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Both coming from dugouts?

Quote:

I believe it to be a typo. But as I read this you have 2 coaches coming from their dug-outs?

What level is this? Coach certainly seemed to not have experienced your request for separation before. He ejected himself by his comments, as they normally do.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2011, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
I believe it to be a typo. But as I read this you have 2 coaches coming from their dug-outs?

What level is this? Coach certainly seemed to not have experienced your request for separation before. He ejected himself by his comments, as they normally do.
Hm, now that you mention it... something is wrong with the scenario. The OP said that the coach for the home team, who was on offense, left the dugout on the 3B side to talk to the PU. Then he said the 3B coach for the other team? What team on defense has a 3B coach on the field?
Old Wed Jun 15, 2011, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Meh ... sorry bout that. Home was on defense, coach came out of dugout. Visitor batting - coach in question was the 3B Coach at the time (and also head coach).

West Houston Mike