The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 29, 2011, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

The biggest problem with new balls is that some of them get slippery.

One way to limit the number of times the home team pitcher asks for another ball is to take the one she doesn't want out of the game (it must have something wrong with it) and ask the home coach for a new ball, which you then give to the pitcher. The coach will then deal with the pitcher.

I have had pitchers want a specific ball and slow the game down asking for it back if it gets hit out of play and is then returned.

I have only seen one pitcher who checks the ball every time she gets to the circle and ask for a different ball if she doesn't like it (before a warm up is thrown). Most just don't know the rule.

I always look at the ball if a pitcher asks for a different ball, in some cases there actually is a problem (the ball is cut or a seam ripped).
Old Sun May 01, 2011, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

While the normal ball rotation procedure is pretty simple, today I was wondering about this one...

If you're working a game with light rain, a muddy field or dew in the grass, quite often someone will have a towel handy to dry balls. In these conditions, the chances of a pitcher asking for another ball during an inning are much greater because the one she has is wet or muddy.

In this case, do you...take the ball she has and get it wiped down, then give her back the same ball (as to maintain the ball rotation procedure)? Allow a dry(er) ball to be put into the game or pull on from your bag? Tell her, "Too bad", because the ball rotation procedure says she has to continue pitching with the ball she has? Some combination of the above?

I guess what I'm asking is if the ball rotation procedure can be ignored, at the umpire's discretion, if he thinks that weather conditions warrant.
Old Sun May 01, 2011, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
While the normal ball rotation procedure is pretty simple, today I was wondering about this one...

If you're working a game with light rain, a muddy field or dew in the grass, quite often someone will have a towel handy to dry balls. In these conditions, the chances of a pitcher asking for another ball during an inning are much greater because the one she has is wet or muddy.

In this case, do you...take the ball she has and get it wiped down, then give her back the same ball (as to maintain the ball rotation procedure)? Allow a dry(er) ball to be put into the game or pull on from your bag? Tell her, "Too bad", because the ball rotation procedure says she has to continue pitching with the ball she has? Some combination of the above?

I guess what I'm asking is if the ball rotation procedure can be ignored, at the umpire's discretion, if he thinks that weather conditions warrant.
Although not addressed in the NFHS rules, I would not argue with a pitcher who requested a new ball that has become "unfit for play" due to temporarily becomming wet, muddy or whatever.

I would issue a new ball from my ball bag and give the ball to the home team (or possibly the defense), requesting that they return a ball fit for play.
I do require that any balls put in play go through me and yes, I do briefly check to make sure they are the correct balls for the game.
Old Sun May 01, 2011, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post

What makes you think the ball rotation procedue needs to be ignored?

I appreciate a team that dries of a wet ball. They can then return it to me, goes in the bag and then into the game, when necessary.