The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Question, NFHS, trail calls a foul in the backcourt, what is the rotation after trail goes to the table to report the foul????
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 11:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

By the book:

3 officials: Trail always goes opposite table. Could be T or C, depending on the side of the court where the ball will be inbounded.

2 officials: Officials always switch so trail goes lead.

In reality? Depends on the crew, I guess.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 11:15am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by feelthese2
Question, NFHS, trail calls a foul in the backcourt, what is the rotation after trail goes to the table to report the foul????
You should have included what side the trail was on when he made the call.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Ok, trail in bounds table side in the back court, center is across from table and lead is table side. Trail calls a foul in the backcourt and goes cross table. Does the center now becomes the trail???
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok, trail in bounds table side in the back court, center is across from table and lead is table side. Trail calls a foul in the backcourt and goes cross table. Does the center now becomes the trail???
Yes, and the calling official becomes C, assuming that the ball will be put in play tableside.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 01:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb

Quote:
You always are going to switch. You are always going to go opposite the table no matter what. You will never go back to the same position under any circumstances, if you do the mechanics by the book.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
You always are going to switch. You are always going to go opposite the table no matter what. You will never go back to the same position under any circumstances, if you do the mechanics by the book.

Peace
I thought the FED had amended this?

If T is opposite table, then T just returns and administers the throw-in. No need to run down the court and swithc with L.

If T is table side, then T switches with C.

Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

If T is opposite table, then T just returns and administers the throw-in. No need to run down the court and swithc with L.

[/B]
They had, but this year they went back to the old mechanic
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Peace

Not so sure on this one. I'm C, opposite, in frontcourt, and I call a shooting foul. I report, then I go opposite which, in this case, is still C.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 11:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

Not so sure on this one. I'm C, opposite, in frontcourt, and I call a shooting foul. I report, then I go opposite which, in this case, is still C.
I am strictly talking about a call in the backcourt, which was the point of my reponse. Shooting fouls are another story, but I am talking about non-shooting fouls. Mainly because that was what the question was originally about.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCurrie
Quote:

Jcurrie is correct, Bob. In 2001, the NF eliminated the long switch because the NCAA stated that they were going to continue not using it. A month later, after the NF books were printed, the NCAA went back to the long switch. That's what Mr. Knox told us when he was the Chairman of the Committee. He told us in 2001 that the NF would go back to long switches in 2003 an d so they did. But I still see a lot of guys, at both levels, not switching.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by JCurrie
Quote:

Jcurrie is correct, Bob. In 2001, the NF eliminated the long switch because the NCAA stated that they were going to continue not using it. A month later, after the NF books were printed, the NCAA went back to the long switch. That's what Mr. Knox told us when he was the Chairman of the Committee. He told us in 2001 that the NF would go back to long switches in 2003 an d so they did. But I still see a lot of guys, at both levels, not switching.
Yes, I understand the history. I thought they again changed it (after the books were printed this year) so that there "sometimes" was a long switch (when old L, new T was tableside) and "sometimes" not a long swithc (when old L, new T was already opposite table).

Maybe (probably) I'm wrong -- it's either a local interp, or a rumor for next year, or a compromise suggested by those who don't want to switch, but also don't want to not follow the rules, or ...