The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

I don't really care whether you've used the right words here or which sport you started working in...

There is NO RULE SET, in either sport, in which the infielder who happens to be near the center of the diamond (aka the pitcher) is penalized for touching the object from which he or she normally pitches when throwing to first base in order to retire a batter-runner. (Honestly, I'm surprised an experienced umpire in EITHER sport would even consider this a problem for even the shortest of moments).

Hopefully someone somewhere will recognize that you, the umpire, have moved out from behind the plate and it will be obvious to SOMEone that there is no eminent pitch.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clev1967 View Post
I have no problem using proper rulebook terminology when in a formal setting such as a clinic. But in normal conversation I am going to use what I use and for sure not going to chastise someone for not using "umpire-ese"
Honestly, while you may be a bit bristled by the way the comments were delivered, if you want to be respected in this profession you should at least learn the correct words. The pitcher's plate or the circle are not umpire-ese. I tell you this for your benefit, discard if you must: If I was to hear my partner or another umpire around the water cooler call it "the mound" or "the rubber", my respectometer would immediately decrease several notches - and this is likely true for those you might work with one day.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Referring strictly to the paragraph above.

I find that when among folks that are not familiar with the proper terminology is the one time an umpire should be sure to use the correct words, phrases and rule citations.

How are they to learn if you fall into their world of inappropriate use of terms? I'm not suggesting an umpire correct them, but to respond with the appropriate terms, phrases and citations. Doing otherwise just creates confusion and frustration among the players when the encounter those who do it right. Don't believe me, ask those who have UIC a national tournament how many questions they get about "perceived" rules because that is what "Ol' Smitty" back home has been telling them for years.

One of my pet peeves is an umpire that calls pitches "deep" in the SP game especially if they make a motion over the shoulder with it. This is a serious issue when it comes to umpires who call the games and strike zones properly. It is either a ball or a strike. Don't think the word "deep" ever appears in the rules, yet hundreds of umpires, players and fans routinely use it even though there is no value to the term, but someone probably gets ejected every day because of the frustration felt when umpires will not call it "their way".

It is a disservice to the teams and fellow officials to not be professional which includes the proper usage of terms and phrases.
I've already found that it is best to avoid the "leap" and "crow hop" terms with coaches and stick to "replant".

Rita
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I don't really care whether you've used the right words here or which sport you started working in...

There is NO RULE SET, in either sport, in which the infielder who happens to be near the center of the diamond (aka the pitcher) is penalized for touching the object from which he or she normally pitches when throwing to first base in order to retire a batter-runner. (Honestly, I'm surprised an experienced umpire in EITHER sport would even consider this a problem for even the shortest of moments).

Hopefully someone somewhere will recognize that you, the umpire, have moved out from behind the plate and it will be obvious to SOMEone that there is no eminent pitch.
But that's part of the learning of the sport: Just how literally does one take parts of the ruleset.

I now know one must be VERY careful on the terminology.

Rita
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
I've already found that it is best to avoid the "leap" and "crow hop" terms with coaches and stick to "replant".

Rita
Why? Each is a separate act and violations and referring to them as the same is often the cause of consternation among officials.

Folks ignorant of the rules like the term "crow hop" and use it for almost everything they think is an illegal pitcher.

In the opposite direction, I find that the TH doing softball on TV often mention "leaping" immediately upon any called IP before they even look at it on replay. A fair amount of time they are correct. However, there are times when while watching the replay, they talk about the "leap" when the it is evident that the pitcher replanted which is a crow hop, not a leap. But they rarely let the facts get in the way of a strong, yet incorrect, comment.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why? Each is a separate act and violations and referring to them as the same is often the cause of consternation among officials.

Folks ignorant of the rules like the term "crow hop" and use it for almost everything they think is an illegal pitcher.

In the opposite direction, I find that the TH doing softball on TV often mention "leaping" immediately upon any called IP before they even look at it on replay. A fair amount of time they are correct. However, there are times when while watching the replay, they talk about the "leap" when the it is evident that the pitcher replanted which is a crow hop, not a leap. But they rarely let the facts get in the way of a strong, yet incorrect, comment.
Why? Because I think the coaches have their own definitions as well.

Rita
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why? Because I think the coaches have their own definitions as well.

Rita
So you perpetuate ignorance?

Would you refer to an IP in a softball game as a balk if that is what the coach believes it is?

Do you rule interference on an OBS call because that is what the players think it is?

Nope, cannot agree with you. Next thing you know, you will be referring to R3 as the runner on 3B, R2 as the runner on 2B or R1 as the runner on 1B.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But that's part of the learning of the sport: Just how literally does one take parts of the ruleset.

I now know one must be VERY careful on the terminology.

Rita
Well... completely literally ... but in context - and with proper definitions in mind. What rule in what set do you see that can be misinterpreted to mean what you implied it to mean in the OP?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Well... completely literally ... but in context - and with proper definitions in mind. What rule in what set do you see that can be misinterpreted to mean what you implied it to mean in the OP?
Not sure what you are asking. But I think you know that it simply says in the NFHS rule book that the pitcher is not to throw to a base when in contact with the pitching plate. It does not say: Unless making a play on a BR.

Rita
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So you perpetuate ignorance?

Would you refer to an IP in a softball game as a balk if that is what the coach believes it is?

Do you rule interference on an OBS call because that is what the players think it is?

Nope, cannot agree with you. Next thing you know, you will be referring to R3 as the runner on 3B, R2 as the runner on 2B or R1 as the runner on 1B.
Nope. Just keeping things simple. It doesn't really matter how you want to call the replant. It's simply a replant. I haven't seen consistency in the definition of a crowhop yet. Or in the calling of it.

Rita
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nope. Just keeping things simple. It doesn't really matter how you want to call the replant. It's simply a replant. I haven't seen consistency in the definition of a crowhop yet. Or in the calling of it.

Rita

Rita

And a leap? You do know it is not the same thing as a crow hop, don't you?
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Rita

And a leap? You do know it is not the same thing as a crow hop, don't you?
Yes, dear.

Rita
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, dear.

Rita
You know the difference, yet you refer to a "leap" as a replant because you think that is what the coaches believe?

Thanks for playing. We now return to our regular programming.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not sure what you are asking. But I think you know that it simply says in the NFHS rule book that the pitcher is not to throw to a base when in contact with the pitching plate. It does not say: Unless making a play on a BR.

Rita
The pitcher is not "the pitcher" at this point. He's just an infielder making a play during a live ball.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You know the difference, yet you refer to a "leap" as a replant because you think that is what the coaches believe?

Thanks for playing. We now return to our regular programming.
Isn't a leap also considered a replant?

See? I realize I'm relatively new to the sport but I do think that you all would be more encouraging to new people if you could patiently explain rather than rudely ridicule.

Rita