The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
This is not a PONY rule or a correct interpretation according to the PONY rule book.
From the Points of Emphasis section in the PONY 2010 Girls Softball Rules and Regulations book (Pg.V):
#8 CHECK SWING/BUNT STRIKE
"On a bunt attempt where the batter puts the bat across the plate, unless the batter moves the bat towards the ball, a strike would not be called if the ball is out of the strike zone."
Thanks KJ! I am corrected again. So PONY agrees with ASA and with Mike. Makes a lot of sense. Thank you! Dave, perhaps the guy you knew was confused like me?

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 06:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBlueASA View Post
Thanks KJ! I am corrected again. So PONY agrees with ASA and with Mike. Makes a lot of sense. Thank you! Dave, perhaps the guy you knew was confused like me?
Uh oh... Maybe my source wasn't correct, then.

He's called for so many different orgs, so I have to cut him some slack.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Now I am going to have to ask..what about USSSA? My DD played 90% Usssa last year and her coaches told her to make sure you pulled the bat back if its a ball. This year she is on a different team that plays 90% ASA and she doesn't ahve to pull the bat back. Should I just keep telling her to pull it back so if we play PONY/USSSA she is used to it?
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Not sure about USSSA, but in PONY she is not required to pull the bat back.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Uh oh... Maybe my source wasn't correct, then.

He's called for so many different orgs, so I have to cut him some slack.
Why? Would you expect a player or coach to do the same?

This is what causes problems and confuses players. Okay, so that isn't so unusual, but you get my point.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg21001 View Post
Now I am going to have to ask..what about USSSA? My DD played 90% Usssa last year and her coaches told her to make sure you pulled the bat back if its a ball. This year she is on a different team that plays 90% ASA and she doesn't ahve to pull the bat back. Should I just keep telling her to pull it back so if we play PONY/USSSA she is used to it?
Is she planning on playing softball in college? In NCAA, they need to pull the bat back. If she is planning on playing in college, it would be good to get in the habit. Dave
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
Is she planning on playing softball in college? In NCAA, they need to pull the bat back. If she is planning on playing in college, it would be good to get in the habit. Dave

Is she planning on playing softball in High School? In NFHS, they need to pull the bat back. If she is planning on playing in High School, it would be good to get in the habit.

Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBlueASA View Post
I'm with you Mike. I don't see why a strike would be called if the batter never offered at the pitch. In fact, it goes against the definition of a check swing and offering at a pitch.

And Dave and Mike and others, I thank you yet again for clearing up my confusion. This has been the way I have been calling it - ASA no strike, PONY strike...

Someone will want to mention to the Dallas Metroplex Softball Association that there is a mistake on their website under the forty myths. They have incorrectly listed this as an ASA rule, when it is, in fact, an NFHS and PONY rule.

DMSUA.COM

Myth number 11.

Yup......modified my old rule myths document and screwed it up.........

Joel
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

I'd have her pull it back just for the simple fact that for whatever reason, it REALLY pisses some umpires off and they will call the strike regardless of the rule set.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

I think I can beat that. Last Saturday had a coach INSIST that because his player didn't move the bat and was in fact looking at the catcher when the ball came in, that it was not a bunt attempt.

Unfortunately, there were 2 strikes ... and the player in question actually hit the ball - foul. Strike Three!

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I think I can beat that. Last Saturday had a coach INSIST that because his player didn't move the bat and was in fact looking at the catcher when the ball came in, that it was not a bunt attempt.

Unfortunately, there were 2 strikes ... and the player in question actually hit the ball - foul. Strike Three!
I've never seen this, and I'm pretty sure I'd go where you did on the field. But I'm not sure how you could argue he's wrong from the rulebook. Bunt is defined as a pitched ball that is intentionally tapped with the bat. I'm pretty sure there's no definition for bunt attempt. I just can't imagine not reading intent in putting the bat out there.
________
Kids Paxil

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:48pm.