The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Pitching Requirement Difference NFHS/ASA

So in ASA there is a rule that clearly makes bringing the hands together twice and illegal pitch. In NFHS there doesn't seem to be a similar rule, but there is a rule that says the delivery may not include a rocking motion that involves bringing the hands together after they have separated.

So, is the following not an illegal pitch in NFHS. Pitcher stands with the glove in front of her and without moving it puts her hand in. Takes her hand out. Puts her hand back in and then pitches?
________
VOLCANO VAPORIZER LOWEST PRICE

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:44pm.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
So in ASA there is a rule that clearly makes bringing the hands together twice and illegal pitch. In NFHS there doesn't seem to be a similar rule, but there is a rule that says the delivery may not include a rocking motion that involves bringing the hands together after they have separated.

So, is the following not an illegal pitch in NFHS. Pitcher stands with the glove in front of her and without moving it puts her hand in. Takes her hand out. Puts her hand back in and then pitches?
"Takes her hand out" = separated
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
"Takes her hand out" = separated
Yeah, I realize that. The question was about the other part. She's not using a rocking motion that involves the double touch. She's just double touching.
________
Angeliq cam

Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Look at case book, 6-1-2 situation A. Illegal pitch.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 08:54am

Rule 6-1-2(a):
The pitch starts when one hand is taken off the ball or the pitcher makes any motion that is part of the windup after the hands have been brought together.

Therefore, once the hands come together, they can only separate once because the pitch has started.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

So do you think the sentence about a rocking motion is meaningless? Putting my OP another way. The rule is substantially different in wording. Is there something that is legal in NFHS that isn't in ASA because of this wording?
________
Nikita

Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So do you think the sentence about a rocking motion is meaningless? Putting my OP another way. The rule is substantially different in wording. Is there something that is legal in NFHS that isn't in ASA because of this wording?
Yes, I think it intends and means the same thing, it is just worded differently.

As a practical matter, every umpire I know enforces the rule the same in both games.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 01:31pm

Quote:
Not that comes to mind. I believe this might be a case of unnecessary redundancy in the NFHS rules book. Maybe this rule is in there to clearly define legalities since NFHS pitchers may step backwards, but NOT after the hands have come together.

Maybe someone can come up with a sitch that would be legal in all other aspects but the "rocker" language (6-1-4b) prohibits.

Last edited by RadioBlue; Tue Feb 15, 2011 at 11:16am. Reason: add dropped word
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up pitching requirements

NFHS, Cannot step backwards after hands come together. May step backwards before hands come together OR simultaneously as the hands are coming together, but never AFTER the hands are together!

Thoes who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it!
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 11:16am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP 64 View Post
NFHS, Cannot step backwards after hands come together. May step backwards before hands come together OR simultaneously as the hands are coming together, but never AFTER the hands are together!
Forgot the word "not". Thanks. I've fixed my post.
Old Tue Feb 22, 2011, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

The only time they could step backwards after the hands come together would be to remove themselves from the pitching position.

NFHS 6-1-1 f.

The pitcher may remove herself from the pitching position as follows:
1.before the hands come together, the pitcher may legally step back from the pitcher's plate with both feet;
2.when the hands are together and no part of the windup motion has been made, the pitcher may legally step back from the pitcher's plate with both feet;
3.either foot may be removed first.

But, I do agree if she remains in pitching position and removes a hand from the ball once brought together it is an illegal pitch.