The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Pitching Requirement Difference NFHS/ASA (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/62231-pitching-requirement-difference-nfhs-asa.html)

youngump Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:41am

Pitching Requirement Difference NFHS/ASA

So in ASA there is a rule that clearly makes bringing the hands together twice and illegal pitch. In NFHS there doesn't seem to be a similar rule, but there is a rule that says the delivery may not include a rocking motion that involves bringing the hands together after they have separated.

So, is the following not an illegal pitch in NFHS. Pitcher stands with the glove in front of her and without moving it puts her hand in. Takes her hand out. Puts her hand back in and then pitches?
________
VOLCANO VAPORIZER LOWEST PRICE

CecilOne Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 728921)
So in ASA there is a rule that clearly makes bringing the hands together twice and illegal pitch. In NFHS there doesn't seem to be a similar rule, but there is a rule that says the delivery may not include a rocking motion that involves bringing the hands together after they have separated.

So, is the following not an illegal pitch in NFHS. Pitcher stands with the glove in front of her and without moving it puts her hand in. Takes her hand out. Puts her hand back in and then pitches?

"Takes her hand out" = separated

youngump Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 728925)
"Takes her hand out" = separated

Yeah, I realize that. The question was about the other part. She's not using a rocking motion that involves the double touch. She's just double touching.
________
Angeliq cam

RKBUmp Fri Feb 11, 2011 05:24pm

Look at case book, 6-1-2 situation A. Illegal pitch.

RadioBlue Mon Feb 14, 2011 08:54am

Rule 6-1-2(a):
The pitch starts when one hand is taken off the ball or the pitcher makes any motion that is part of the windup after the hands have been brought together.

Therefore, once the hands come together, they can only separate once because the pitch has started.

youngump Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:43am

So do you think the sentence about a rocking motion is meaningless? Putting my OP another way. The rule is substantially different in wording. Is there something that is legal in NFHS that isn't in ASA because of this wording?
________
Nikita

AtlUmpSteve Mon Feb 14, 2011 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 729911)
So do you think the sentence about a rocking motion is meaningless? Putting my OP another way. The rule is substantially different in wording. Is there something that is legal in NFHS that isn't in ASA because of this wording?

Yes, I think it intends and means the same thing, it is just worded differently.

As a practical matter, every umpire I know enforces the rule the same in both games.

RadioBlue Mon Feb 14, 2011 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 729911)

Not that comes to mind. I believe this might be a case of unnecessary redundancy in the NFHS rules book. Maybe this rule is in there to clearly define legalities since NFHS pitchers may step backwards, but NOT after the hands have come together.

Maybe someone can come up with a sitch that would be legal in all other aspects but the "rocker" language (6-1-4b) prohibits.

UMP 64 Mon Feb 14, 2011 02:22pm

pitching requirements

:confused:NFHS, Cannot step backwards after hands come together. May step backwards before hands come together OR simultaneously as the hands are coming together, but never AFTER the hands are together!

RadioBlue Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP 64 (Post 729970)
:confused:NFHS, Cannot step backwards after hands come together. May step backwards before hands come together OR simultaneously as the hands are coming together, but never AFTER the hands are together!

Forgot the word "not". Thanks. I've fixed my post.

DSC Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:43pm

The only time they could step backwards after the hands come together would be to remove themselves from the pitching position.

NFHS 6-1-1 f.

The pitcher may remove herself from the pitching position as follows:
1.before the hands come together, the pitcher may legally step back from the pitcher's plate with both feet;
2.when the hands are together and no part of the windup motion has been made, the pitcher may legally step back from the pitcher's plate with both feet;
3.either foot may be removed first.

But, I do agree if she remains in pitching position and removes a hand from the ball once brought together it is an illegal pitch.