The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Questions

So trying to prep for the season got me into the NFHS book last night and left me with questions. Here's the first couple:

1. In the team conduct section one of the things listed for a warning and then a restriction is if a player goes behind the catcher when she and the pitcher are in their positions. Am I to understand that if the new batter goes around behind, I'm supposed to issue a warning and start restricting? It doesn't happen very much in varsity, but the JV girls certainly do it from time to time. If not, what does this mean?

2. I've never restricted a coach to the dugout. If that happens and they have an assistant, I figure the assistant will just come out and act like the head coach. But if not and the coach wants a sub, do I go over to the dugout and talk to the coach? Presumably, if she wants to complain about something she's out of luck since she can't leave the dugout? Some guidance would be appreciated.
________
Melanny4U live

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:43pm.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 03:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
So trying to prep for the season got me into the NFHS book last night and left me with questions. Here's the first couple:

1. In the team conduct section one of the things listed for a warning and then a restriction is if a player goes behind the catcher when she and the pitcher are in their positions. Am I to understand that if the new batter goes around behind, I'm supposed to issue a warning and start restricting? It doesn't happen very much in varsity, but the JV girls certainly do it from time to time. If not, what does this mean?

2. I've never restricted a coach to the dugout. If that happens and they have an assistant, I figure the assistant will just come out and act like the head coach. But if not and the coach wants a sub, do I go over to the dugout and talk to the coach? Presumably, if she wants to complain about something she's out of luck since she can't leave the dugout? Some guidance would be appreciated.
#1 is intended to keep non-playing personnel from going behind the backstop and watching/charting/filming pitches and relaying that information to the dugout or to give information on what pitches the pitcher has or how wide the PU's outside corner is. A new batter may certainly walk behind the catcher (and often do) in order to get the batter's box on the other side away from their on-deck circle.

In #2, any eligible player or other coach may occupy a coach's box. However, in the event of a coach being restricted to the dugout, the ONLY reason they can come out is to tend to an obviously injured or ill player. If they wish to make a substitution, you will have to visit the dugout to get the change. Of course, if the coach wishes to drudge up the past, you'll be getting your changes from the new acting head coach.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Substitutes do not have to be reported by the head coach.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Substitutes do not have to be reported by the head coach.
So you'd make them send a player out to report?
________
DARINGLADIES cam

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:44pm.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why not use the captain you MUST have designated at the line-up exchange?

3-1-2
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We don't initiate subs, the team does. Any coach or player (including the entering one) can report a sub.
Go to the head coach if confusion/uncertainty/illegal, but my point was it is not required.
Old Thu Feb 10, 2011, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We don't initiate subs, the team does. Any coach or player (including the entering one) can report a sub.
Go to the head coach if confusion/uncertainty/illegal, but my point was it is not required.
This came up in our last meeting. It was said that even a 'restricted' coach can come out to make line-up/substitution changes. and that would be one of the few exceptions for him/her being out on the field of play. (injury was another one)
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 06:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL View Post
Why not use the captain you MUST have designated at the line-up exchange?

3-1-2
I think they changed it this year (unannounced) to "may".
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla21fan View Post
This came up in our last meeting. It was said that even a 'restricted' coach can come out to make line-up/substitution changes. and that would be one of the few exceptions for him/her being out on the field of play. (injury was another one)
Did they cite a rule?
Old Fri Feb 11, 2011, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
#1 is intended to keep non-playing personnel from going behind the backstop and watching/charting/filming pitches and relaying that information to the dugout or to give information on what pitches the pitcher has or how wide the PU's outside corner is. A new batter may certainly walk behind the catcher (and often do) in order to get the batter's box on the other side away from their on-deck circle.
Radio, I contend that 3-6-6 covers team personnel behind the backstop. 3-6-5 is aimed at players in live ball territory (i.e., on deck batters).
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did they cite a rule?
good question. and I think the comment is being 're-evaluated'. (I even had to call a couple of my fellow blues at the meeting to make sure I was not hearing things )
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 08:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
Radio, I contend that 3-6-6 covers team personnel behind the backstop. 3-6-5 is aimed at players in live ball territory (i.e., on deck batters).
Hmm. Interesting point. I can see where you're coming from. I've always read 3-6-5 as to refer to team personnel behind the backstop (maybe I'm reading more into it and/or making incorrect inferrences). Re-reading it after your comment does lead me to believe that 3-6-5 is ambiguous because, technically speaking, if a new right-handed batter is coming to the plate from the 1st base dugout and the pitcher and catcher is in position and the batter walks behind the catcher and umpire to the batter's box, she would be in violation. That cannot be the intent of this rule, obviously.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
Hmm. Interesting point. I can see where you're coming from. I've always read 3-6-5 as to refer to team personnel behind the backstop (maybe I'm reading more into it and/or making incorrect inferrences). Re-reading it after your comment does lead me to believe that 3-6-5 is ambiguous because, technically speaking, if a new right-handed batter is coming to the plate from the 1st base dugout and the pitcher and catcher is in position and the batter walks behind the catcher and umpire to the batter's box, she would be in violation. That cannot be the intent of this rule, obviously.
When a new batter is approaching her batter's box, I wouldn't consider F1 and F2 to be in position to pitch.

3-6-5 has no Case Book references, but we use it to keep the first batter of the inning in her on-deck circle until warm ups are complete ... and also to keep on deck batters in their own circle.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Use in the sense that you tell them not to do it. Or use in the sense that you enforce this rule by making a warning to the team the first time and restricting the second time?
________
Live sex

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:44pm.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2011, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Use in the sense that you tell them not to do it. Or use in the sense that you enforce this rule by making a warning to the team the first time and restricting the second time?
Personally, I use it to tell them not to do it (running to the other side to wait). I would only warn (and then restrict) if a team member was standing behind watching pitch movement.