The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Driver's License? Why?

Got an email from mylocal commissioner, saying that the new UIC here in NY was asking for our addresses, date of birth.......and our driver's license number. Our commissioner flat out stated that it was up to us whether we wanted to disclose that, and that he personally was only giving out his DOB.

Why the heck would the UIC need our license #???? Is this a new ASA directive, or is this something he is doing himself? And quite frankly, is this legal?? I mean, its not like we drive an ASA owned vehicle or anything...

Hopefully someone here can help, thanks!
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
Got an email from mylocal commissioner, saying that the new UIC here in NY was asking for our addresses, date of birth.......and our driver's license number. Our commissioner flat out stated that it was up to us whether we wanted to disclose that, and that he personally was only giving out his DOB.

Why the heck would the UIC need our license #???? Is this a new ASA directive, or is this something he is doing himself? And quite frankly, is this legal?? I mean, its not like we drive an ASA owned vehicle or anything...

Criminal background checks.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

As JEL noted, this piece of information is used by the agency running the criminal background checks.

Your local commissioner isn't doing you any favors with his advice, in my opinion. I don't believe disclosing your DL# puts you in any more danger of identity theft; surely not as much as asking for your Social Security #, which would also be used for the criminal background check.

Here's the bottom line. If you refuse to give your DL#, the odds increase that the background check will be unable to separate your identity from another with the same name that may have committed a crime, and you will be considered unfit. It will then be your burden to prove that the check is incorrect; and your fault, not theirs, since you initially refused to give them enough information to try to keep that from happening.

If you have a pretty unique name, you may not have an issue. If your local phone book or a white pages search lists multiple people with the same or similar name, you are really risking the hassle of proving it wasn't you.

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Sun Jan 16, 2011 at 10:45am.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

This isn't ASA and if your commissioner didn't demand it, it isn't NYASA either.

The others are probably correct, it is for a DI. Something which I will not worry about as no level of softball will have the opportunity to run one with my permission.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

The Houston area required a photo copy of the driver's license and our SSN. I do not have a problem with the background check, although with identity theft being a sincere concern, I would hope that ASA is using a trustworthy and reputable company to run the checks. It it what they do with the information after it is ran that concerns me. I just hope that the paperwork will be disposed of properly and not thrown in a trash can for some crook to get a hold of.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

This is an ASA Requirement

Here in Houston we are requiring JO umpires to provide a copy of the front and back of their DL and their SSN for complete background checks. I'm sure ASA can provide the forms for you.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtrooper View Post
The Houston area required a photo copy of the driver's license and our SSN. I do not have a problem with the background check, although with identity theft being a sincere concern, I would hope that ASA is using a trustworthy and reputable company to run the checks. It it what they do with the information after it is ran that concerns me. I just hope that the paperwork will be disposed of properly and not thrown in a trash can for some crook to get a hold of.
To be clear, based on my information:

The agency running the criminal background checks is LexisNexis, aka Choicepoint. It is the largest and most reputable in USA (to my understanding) in the business of running background checks for private agencies and industry. I have allowed that to be performed on me the last two years, as a Georgia ASA Staff member.

There is, again, to to my knowledge, NO paperwork generated, that needs to be disposed of. If you pass, green light; if you fail, red light. If there is any grey area (like there is someone else that has the same name with a felony, but they can't be sure it isn't YOU), yellow light. Your local association (Commisioner/UIC) gets no paperwork which requires any action or disposal; just notice of red or yellow lights. You, as an individual given red or yellow, are given a contact at Choicepoint to work with to resolve anything you believe to be inaccurate or incorrect.

If you are required to provide photocopies, it isn't a Choicepoint requirement; we don't require that here. It sounds more like someone in your local association wants to be sure there aren't any typo's in the applications.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtrooper View Post
I have no problem with BIs when necessary and appropriate. I had a TS clearance in the USN. When I checked out, they made the mistake of giving me my FBI/DIS/NIS reports about myself. Found out some things I couldn't have gotten myself.

I'm in the business of transporting high-value items from coin & cash to America's Cup and Van Halen to the Phillie Phanatic.

Those are valid reasons for BIs. Umpiring softball games is not.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Of course it's appropriate!

You're dealing with young girls and in some cases young boys. Would you want your daughter to be out on a field with a predator?
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto View Post
You're dealing with young girls and in some cases young boys. Would you want your daughter to be out on a field with a predator?
Not in my opinion. I am not spending time with the girls or boys. I am in the middle of a wide open ball field officiating a sporting event. And no, I'm not going to engage them in conversation or anything else off the field and I really don't are what the Chicken Littles think.

I am not touching under any circumstance. Nor am I talking to them other than to effect my duties as an umpire. And, BTW, I'm being observed by those responsible for the player's well-being and, as has been demonstrated in the past, more than willing to call the police in a heartbeat.

And it really doesn't make any difference, BI's only catch those who have already been caught.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 03:31am
Official Forum Member

I'm going to agree with Irish here.

1) It is impossible for a predator to do anything to a child in a large ballpark full of people.

2) Studies show that the most likely person to abuse a child is someone that they already know, like a close family member or a coach.

3) The background check is only going to red flag someone that has already been in trouble. There are still predators out there that will not be flagged by these checks.

4) This creates the problem of "false positive" results that has already been discussed in this thread. I have a fairly unique name, but would shudder if I was John Smith under this type of system.

5) I don't care how reputable the company or what the supposed protocol is for how the results are distributed, but I shudder to think of what could happen to my personal information in the hands of some faceless corporation or even in the chain of command of my local UICs.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

It has happened in the past.

Quote:
Hinton said he had planned to rape another woman that day, but she'd refused to meet with him. He said he met Melendi for the first time at a softball game where she was the scorekeeper and he was the home plate umpire.
Quote:
According to Bernstein, Hinton's attorney, his criminal record extends back several decades. He was charged in Kentucky in 1977 with criminal attempt to commit rape after he and his brother attempted to kidnap their boss' wife. The case was handled in juvenile court, and he received counseling.

Then in Illinois in 1982, he pleaded "guilty but mentally ill" to charges of unlawful restraint and indecent liberties with a child for kidnapping Tammy Singleton, a 14-year-old who was dating his brother.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws7 View Post
And the difference between this and, say, him just showing up as a spectator?

Mind you, I'm not opposed to background checks. I just don't think they're the cure-all that the "Feel Gooders" think that they are.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Mon Jan 17, 2011 at 12:37pm.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Lexis-Nexis is a database, not a company running the background checks. I am sure that a private security company is doing that for ASA. Some paperwork would be required to transfer that information to the company. I am not overly concerned about it, although personal information should be reasonably guarded these days. Name and DOB should get that done. In ten years of law enforcement I have not had any problems identifying people by name and DOB. Name and DOB backed up with a valid state ID, such as a driver’s license would leave no doubt of whom you are. Your SS card is a requirement for a DL and thus previously verified by a state agency. I am not comfortable with anyone having my social security number, although I agree with the background checks. I do not want work with an umpire or have my daughter play on the field where the umpire is not of good moral character. Someone mentioned that crimes are usually committed by someone the victim knows and I agree with that, although getting to know someone could be a result of a casual encounter, such as a softball game.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2011, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws7 View Post
Unless he killed her at the ballpark, while in uniform, I'm not really sure what point this is supposed to make.

Are you implying that all persons, prior to entering any ballpark, should have a background check? Fans, coaches, players, scorekeepers, concession personnel, grounds keepers, etc. ?