The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 02, 2008, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

license

From time to time I see the comment "I got my license".
No such thing where I work.

What is the deal with some states having a license?

Is this a license from the government, school associations, or what.

Amazing you would need a license to umpire.

What will we need a license for next?
Old Sun Mar 02, 2008, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

It's from the state's governing body for HS athletics (KSHSAA around here), of which I thought every state had one. You have to be certified to work Varsity games. I've never heard of a state where you didn't have to be certified to work Varsity. What state are you in?
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to falsecut Send a message via AIM to falsecut Send a message via Yahoo to falsecut
Depends on what you mean by 'certified'. If you mean "licensed", in Illinois we have three licensing levels, Registered, Recognized, and Certified. But so long as you the license, you can do any HS level. You don't get licensed to do a level of play, you get licensed to do HS ball. If you mean Certified as it is used here, which is a certain level of promotional achievement, then no, you don't have to be certified to work Varsity.

This applies to all IHSA sports in Illinois.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Hmm,

In Oregon we do not use the term "license" . . . we have two levels:

Certified means eligible to work varsity games if assigned (score 75 on the NFHS Test 2 closed book) and,

Playoff Eligible means that you can work any level playoff game if assigned (score of 90 on NFHS Test 2 closed book).

We get the NFHS certification card that I believe some groups call a "license."

EDIT:

I was simply reviewing the "license" part of the OP.

So:

In Portland, OR an umpire needs to pass the test (see above) and also attend a mandatory three umpire clinic (to work playoffs).

In Oregon each umpire must attend a local presentation about the rules changes for the new year. Failure to do this again will disqualify an umpire from working playoffs.

As to "guys off the street" . . .

It is hardly possible to come in off the street and work varsity baseball in our area. It is expected that Freshman and Junior Varisty Umpires literally are new and come in off the street.

HOWEVER:

During the first two years of a new umpire's life in Portland he will attend over 80 hours of class room instruction. He will also have to attended 16 hours of field mechanic instruction.

We have classroom instruction each Tuesday and Thursday night (split classes for geographic familiarity and ease) . . . on four Monday nights we meet at a high school field and teach. The classroom work takes two hours each time and the field work 3 hours.

This past weekend we had our mandatory field clinic that ran from 8AM to 5 PM both Saturday and Sunday. Umpires were given on field rotational training and then ended with "camp games."

Each day we had four cages going for balls/strikes and each umpire was video'd.

So, as you can see, no one just walks on to the field in Portland, OR.
Regards,

Last edited by Tim C; Tue Mar 04, 2008 at 08:43pm.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Your license in Illinois includes a background check, plus the requirement to attend a clinic, a rules meeting, and to pass the part 1 test. Can't have just anyone work these games. Must wear a state patch on the uniform.

This year we can wear any color of shirt we want! (Partners must match.)

WI has no b/g check, and the rules meetings moved to on-line video this year. Yes for the part 1; to be playoff eligible one must pass the part 2 and work a certain number of varsity games.

So, b...which state lets anyone walk off the street and work a game?
Old Tue Mar 04, 2008, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef

Check this thread: NFHS Test
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Here in Mass. you have to get patched by the MBUA which means you have to go to a 10 week course taught by our interpretors and after a 100 question test (85) passing, and a clinic on mechanics you are authorized to work all levels of ball. most assigners of varsity and serious ball wont even look at you until you have 5 years of experience. Many boards including ours require an evaluation prior to assignment to varsity level ball or higher (legion/mens). Balls and strikes baby!!!!!
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I don't think that is true. It did say any color was acceptable in the NFHS newsletter that they handed out, but it also says that the state associations must adopt this policy. As far as I know Illinois has not.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 05:37pm
Stop staring at me swan.

typically they're not going to enforce anything in regular games...associations will typically say you should match...but in MN, if you get selected to work the state tournament...you're wearing navy blue
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
ajjl22,

At the Sunday clinic at DC this past weekend, the IHSA Rules interpreter did say that any color was fine as long as the umpires matched AND the IHSA patch was properly worn. That's good enough for me!

He also mentioned that playoffs would be Navy only.

JM
Old Wed Mar 05, 2008, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM)
ajjl22,

At the Sunday clinic at DC this past weekend, the IHSA Rules interpreter did say that any color was fine as long as the umpires matched AND the IHSA patch was properly worn. That's good enough for me!

He also mentioned that playoffs would be Navy only.

JM
I must have been sleeping, I didn't hear that
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjl22
I don't think that is true. It did say any color was acceptable in the NFHS newsletter that they handed out, but it also says that the state associations must adopt this policy. As far as I know Illinois has not.
Anthony Holman told Collis, any color is ok, just match. I'll have to dig out my red dazzle shirt - with the zipper, of course!
Old Thu Mar 06, 2008, 06:47am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Your license in Illinois includes a background check, plus the requirement to attend a clinic, a rules meeting, and to pass the part 1 test. Can't have just anyone work these games. Must wear a state patch on the uniform.

WI has no b/g check, and the rules meetings moved to on-line video this year. Yes for the part 1; to be playoff eligible one must pass the part 2 and work a certain number of varsity games.

The Wisconsin baseball rules meeting was not online this year. Basketball and softball, yes, baseball, still gotta attend somewhere.
Old Fri Mar 07, 2008, 10:04pm
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjl22
They have. At our last association meeting, our IHSA liasion specifically stated the IHSA will allow any color during the regular season with the caveat that partners must match. Once state playoffs begin, standard navy blue.