View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 16, 2011, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtrooper View Post
The Houston area required a photo copy of the driver's license and our SSN. I do not have a problem with the background check, although with identity theft being a sincere concern, I would hope that ASA is using a trustworthy and reputable company to run the checks. It it what they do with the information after it is ran that concerns me. I just hope that the paperwork will be disposed of properly and not thrown in a trash can for some crook to get a hold of.
To be clear, based on my information:

The agency running the criminal background checks is LexisNexis, aka Choicepoint. It is the largest and most reputable in USA (to my understanding) in the business of running background checks for private agencies and industry. I have allowed that to be performed on me the last two years, as a Georgia ASA Staff member.

There is, again, to to my knowledge, NO paperwork generated, that needs to be disposed of. If you pass, green light; if you fail, red light. If there is any grey area (like there is someone else that has the same name with a felony, but they can't be sure it isn't YOU), yellow light. Your local association (Commisioner/UIC) gets no paperwork which requires any action or disposal; just notice of red or yellow lights. You, as an individual given red or yellow, are given a contact at Choicepoint to work with to resolve anything you believe to be inaccurate or incorrect.

If you are required to provide photocopies, it isn't a Choicepoint requirement; we don't require that here. It sounds more like someone in your local association wants to be sure there aren't any typo's in the applications.