The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

USA License

How does an official acquire/apply for one?

Other than eligibility to work USA games, what are the benefits? I see many college officials list it on their profiles.
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

There is no "license." Most start out officiating rec league and/or grade school games. You move up to high school games Local and state associations certify officials at those levels.

As for college and the pros, you don't just decide that you want to do them, You have to develop your game, gain experience, and then go to camps and be seen by the right people. For every official you see on TV, there's a thouasand more trying to fill that spot.

So it's not as easy as deciding to do it and getting a license.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

I was not clear

I meant USA Basketball, like the organization that selects teams that play in the Olympics, Junior Nationals, World games, etc.
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

I've always wondered that, myself.

How do you get considered for international basketball assignments using FIBA rules?

Is there a camp similar to college camps? Do you have to apply? Who selects the officials for the Olympics and other international competitions?
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

There is a camp, but before the camp, there is an application process which requires: Five years experience and five years in an association (IAABO, NFSHSA, etc...). Complete the application, submit three letters of recommendation (one from your highest level assignor), submit your current schedule and submit the fee. Then you have to successfully complete an open book exam on FIBA rules.

Now to actually get games is a whole other process... good luck for USA games, international games are even more difficult.

To actually be FIBA certified, you must be a USA Basketball official and be recommended by the USA Basketball Officials Committee to attend the FIBA Camp.

Good luck if you are trying to get there... its a long process.

Here is the link:
http://www.usabasketball.com/usab_of...s_program.html
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official99
There is a camp, but before the camp, there is an application process which requires: Five years experience and five years in an association (IAABO, NFSHSA, etc...). Complete the application, submit three letters of recommendation (one from your highest level assignor), submit your current schedule and submit the fee. Then you have to successfully complete an open book exam on FIBA rules.

Now to actually get games is a whole other process... good luck for USA games, international games are even more difficult.

To actually be FIBA certified, you must be a USA Basketball official and be recommended by the USA Basketball Officials Committee to attend the FIBA Camp.

Good luck if you are trying to get there... its a long process.

Here is the link:
So other than USA and FIBA games, which seem to be on the "you're dreaming" list, what benefit would it be to become USA Basketball certified? I've never heard of a single game anywhere around me run under the auspices of USA Basketball.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

If you are looking to go pro, or even a full D1 college schedule, it will help the resume; just becareful because doing two many programs (high school, college, FIBA) will eventually catch up to you and the last thing you want to do is make the right call, for the wrong league in front of an observer.

Its always worth a try to go International. There aren't many international referees from US (mostly because we don't play much FIBA ball) but you can always go north of the border and do some games up there.

I did a camp a few weeks ago with a few guys from Montreal and they were telling me that this coming season, all basketball (except Mens College) will be FIBA rules.

Also to consider, there are a lot of newer Pro or Semi-Pro leagues around to do those games. Check out some of the following links:

http://www.iblhoopsonline.com/
http://www.cbahoopsonline.com/
http://www.nba.com (they are looking for D-leauge officials)
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizanno
I meant USA Basketball, like the organization that selects teams that play in the Olympics, Junior Nationals, World games, etc.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info!
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 09:42pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official99
Its always worth a try to go International.

That's why I married a Swede.

And yes - she's a girl.
Old Fri Aug 04, 2006, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
That's why I married a Swede.

And yes - she's a girl.
Wow. You and Tiger are my heros!

(Used with permission.)