The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Basically, I agree with IRISHMAFIA.

beyond my duties as an umpire and I would be stepping in as a human being, haven given up my professional duties..
I guess I will agree to disagree. This is not adult ball. This is the foundation to adult ball. These are players that sometimes need attention and protection. I believe it a part of my professional duties to protect the game and the players. I'm not saying to what extent. I think each situation will be dictated by numourous items and each time it will be different. But to turn your back because it might not be what some would refer to as "none of my business" is a chicken **** way out of a responsibility you took when you walked onto the field as an umpire to protect the integrity of the game we love.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
But to turn your back because it might not be what some would refer to as "none of my business" is a chicken **** way out of a responsibility you took when you walked onto the field as an umpire to protect the integrity of the game we love.
Pretty strong stance. Must be a new stance. I mean this IS you in the OP and you didn't do anything at the time.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Pretty strong stance. Must be a new stance. I mean this IS you in the OP and you didn't do anything at the time.
There's a big difference between a coach talking about a player's performance and a coach talking about the player.

It's one thing if the coach is making comments that have to do with the game, even if the coach's criticism is particularly strong. It's not up to me to determine how a coach coaches and motivates his/her team.

Just thinking out loud here, but so long as the coach's comments aren't derogatory against the player, there's not much I'd even consider doing. But if the coach begins to lay into a player with devastating comments that have ZERO to do with either the game at hand or softball in general, I'm not so certain I'd want to let it slide. It all depends on what's being said, as well as the age group.

If a 10U-B coach starts screaming at a child that she's a "worthless little kid," I'd probably have something to say about it by going either to the league or ASA, or by just plain tossing the coach. That kind of abuse on the field should not be permitted by anyone.

I will acknowledge that this is, however, a VERY slippery slope. My example above is an extreme case, and I would imagine that most "harsh comments" made by a coach will (hopefully) fall quite short of this.

Knowing where to draw that line is difficult, at best.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I guess I will agree to disagree. This is not adult ball. This is the foundation to adult ball. These are players that sometimes need attention and protection. I believe it a part of my professional duties to protect the game and the players. I'm not saying to what extent. I think each situation will be dictated by numourous items and each time it will be different. But to turn your back because it might not be what some would refer to as "none of my business" is a chicken **** way out of a responsibility you took when you walked onto the field as an umpire to protect the integrity of the game we love.
I don't think this even a fine line here... there's a MASSIVE gulf between "protecting the integrity of the game" and inserting ourselves into coach-player and/or coach-daughter situations. If you're seeing it, someone else is seeing it. It's not chicken-S to avoid inserting ourselves into potentially volatile situations that are frankly none of our business.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Dec 08, 2010, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
These are players WITH PARENTS/LEGAL GUARDIANS who are responsible for their well being. Just because you don't care for something doesn't mean the world should adjust to you. Personally, I believe it is everyone's responsibility as an american to respect that.

And, BTW, it isn't any of your business and you can call it CS or whatever, but your PROFESSIONAL responsibility is to officiate a ball game. If you want to be more, get a badge.

You want to observe and witness, that is fine, didn't suggest you ignore it. However, the moment you take any action is the moment you are no longer a witness, but a participant and that is not your purpose there.

You are entitled to your view, but I would suggest you be careful where you intrude. Good Samaritans are not always appreciated and can easily become the villain.