The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Hi there.

At a girls' YMCA game on Saturday (we follow HS rules), offensive team has ball for throw-in at mid-court, player A1 can't find anyone in frontcourt to throw the ball toward, so her coach yells, "Throw it into the backcourt!", which she does just before the 5 second count is up, and player A2 (teammate) heads toward the backcourt from her own frontcourt, with one of her feet still in her own frontcourt, and grabs the ball in backcourt. The ball had already hit the floor in the backcourt with A2's one foot still in frontcourt. Is this a violation? Or a no call? Thanks for any clear answers.

Greg
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Your asking for a clear answer disqualifies most of us from even attempting this, but I'll try.

You asked is this a violation? Maybe. You asked if this is a no call? Yes

How about those for clear, concise, definitive answers?

You really don't provide enough info for me to know if it is technically a violation. You told me that one foot is in the front court but where is the other foot? Is it in the back court or in the air? If it's in the air, did it come down in the backcourt after the player gained control of the ball. If so, then we,technically,have a violation because:
1)A2's catch initiated team control.
2)The ball had gained frontcourt status because A2's foot was in the frontcourt.
3)The ball was last touched in frontcourt by A2 and
4)The ball was first touched in backcourt by A2 when her foot touched in backcourt.

There is an exception to this rule for throw-ins but this only applies when both feet are off of the floor when the player catches the ball.

Nevertheless, this would be a bang bang play that I would
no call and sell it as both feet being off of the floor when she caught it, if I had to sell it.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2003, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by GregAlan
At a girls' YMCA game on Saturday (we follow HS rules), offensive team has ball for throw-in at mid-court, player A1 can't find anyone in frontcourt to throw the ball toward, so her coach yells, "Throw it into the backcourt!", which she does just before the 5 second count is up, and player A2 (teammate) heads toward the backcourt from her own frontcourt, with one of her feet still in her own frontcourt, and grabs the ball in backcourt. The ball had already hit the floor in the backcourt with A2's one foot still in frontcourt. Is this a violation? Or a no call? Thanks for any clear answers.
More information is needed here.

Where exactly were A2's feet when A2 gained control of the ball? (Not just touched the ball, but gained control---holding or dribbling the ball inbounds.) What happened after A2 gained control?

If you answer those two questions, I can tell you whether this was a backcourt violation. Without a clearer sequence of events, it could go either way.