The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Player thrown under the bus........ (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/60024-player-thrown-under-bus.html)

Bandit Mon Dec 06, 2010 01:34pm

Player thrown under the bus........

Don't know what or if anything can be done but thought I would ask if anyone has any thoughts, expierences, ideas.....

Did a 10 and under game this past weekend....I think this could happen on any age group.......good pitcher....threw strikes......catcher small but very good....did a great job sliding to sides to block if needed.......dug outs close.....coach giving signs from inside of dug-out threw fence....no problem there....but with coach so close I can hear every word....I have never had a coach be-little a player so much...every run was her fault.....every bad pitch was because she had called it wrong.....every dropped fly ball was her fault....I mean I really started to feel for this girl. Game over. They lost. I went to the catcher after the game and told her what a good job I thought she had done.

One more thing that I found out....it was the coach's daughter.

Anyone run into this ?

robbie Mon Dec 06, 2010 02:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandit (Post 705642)
One more thing that I found out....it was the coach's daughter.

Anyone run into this ?

Anyone NOT run into this???

BretMan Mon Dec 06, 2010 05:09pm

Before I even got half-way through that post, I was thinking, "Probably the coach's daughter".

I've seen some coaches really drop the hammer on their own players, even kids as young as ten, bringing them to the point of tears. In my mind, that's not very sportsmanlike behavior. Could anyone ever imagine a scenario where an umpire might step in here, or is that just too big of a stretch of the unsportsmanlike conduct rules to even entertain?

CecilOne Mon Dec 06, 2010 06:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandit (Post 705642)

Anyone run into this ?

Only when awake or at a game. :rolleyes:

CecilOne Mon Dec 06, 2010 06:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 705708)
too big of a stretch of the unsportsmanlike conduct rules to even entertain?

Yep.

Andy Mon Dec 06, 2010 06:25pm

I posted on here a few years back about an 18U coach.

He was calling pitches for the pitcher to throw and she continually was shaking off the catcher and wanting to throw her pitch.

After coach had had enough, he called time and walked out to the circle.

I was BU in C position and heard this loud and clear from the coach to the pitcher:

"If you ever shake off my pitches again, you can just turn in your f*cking uniform right there!"

He didn't yell and I doubt anybody in the stands heard it, but it concerned me. the general consensus on the board at that time was to let it go.

Steve M Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 705724)
I posted on here a few years back about an 18U coach.

He was calling pitches for the pitcher to throw and she continually was shaking off the catcher and wanting to throw her pitch.

After coach had had enough, he called time and walked out to the circle.

I was BU in C position and heard this loud and clear from the coach to the pitcher:

"If you ever shake off my pitches again, you can just turn in your f*cking uniform right there!"

He didn't yell and I doubt anybody in the stands heard it, but it concerned me. the general consensus on the board at that time was to let it go.

Different age group, actually a D1 game with a couple of not really strong teams. Bases loaded with 2 out and fly to left. F7 camped under ball and it hit he glove & then hit the ground. Tying and lead runs scored with another standing on 3B. DC asks Big Slick for time, gives him a substitution and walks beyond 3B coaching box toward left, waiting for his player to come in after being replaced. Said to her "If you're not going to use the F-ing glove, go put it away." I just moved to my next starting position. We laughed a bit about that on the way home.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:38pm

I'm curious as to why people think an umpire should involve themselves in part of the game that does not involve them.

NCASAUmp Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 705708)
Before I even got half-way through that post, I was thinking, "Probably the coach's daughter".

I've seen some coaches really drop the hammer on their own players, even kids as young as ten, bringing them to the point of tears. In my mind, that's not very sportsmanlike behavior. Could anyone ever imagine a scenario where an umpire might step in here, or is that just too big of a stretch of the unsportsmanlike conduct rules to even entertain?

I'd step in only if it's abusive.

topper Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 705767)
I'm curious as to why people think an umpire should involve themselves in part of the game that does not involve them.

Absolutely agree.

Skahtboi Tue Dec 07, 2010 09:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 705714)
Only when awake or at a game. :rolleyes:

That was what I was thinking.

Bandit Tue Dec 07, 2010 09:54am

Does it involve us????

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 705767)

When it gets to the point that the comments are so abusive and counter productive that it effects the mental / physical ability for the player to play (catcher....protecting home umpire) and or function is a safe manner it does effect the people you may speak of it not involving.

NCASAUmp Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:00am

So that brings up the question...

What do you do when, in your opinion, a coach's behavior is abusive towards a player? I'm not concerning myself with adults here, as adults are free to come and go as they please. Minors, on the other hand, do not have the same voice that we do.

The ASA Safety Awareness Guide does make it very clear that ASA has a "zero tolerance" policy towards abuse, and they specifically mention umpires as being a part of the process.

If it's physical abuse (ie., hitting/striking the player), I think it's safe to say we should intervene. In that case, ejection is more than warranted. But what would you do if the coach is being verbally abusive? Where do you draw the line, and how do you handle it?

Bear in mind that the same Safety Awareness Guide also makes frequent reference to emotional/psychological abuse right alongside with physical abuse.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Dec 07, 2010 09:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandit (Post 705804)
When it gets to the point that the comments are so abusive and counter productive that it effects the mental / physical ability for the player to play (catcher....protecting home umpire) and or function is a safe manner it does effect the people you may speak of it not involving.

As an umpire, unless legally authorized to act in loco parentis, it is none of your business.

There are plenty of parents and other adults associated with the team, if you interject yourself into the situation it can turn bad real quick.

I understand you are trying to do good here, but such interference can turn bad in a heartbeat and it just isn't worth it.

HugoTafurst Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 706026)
As an umpire, unless legally authorized to act in loco parentis, it is none of your business.

There are plenty of parents and other adults associated with the team, if you interject yourself into the situation it can turn bad real quick.

I understand you are trying to do good here, but such interference can turn bad in a heartbeat and it just isn't worth it.

Basically, I agree with IRISHMAFIA.

Oh I suppose there may be a line that would be so agregious that I would step in, but if that was the case it would be way beyond my duties as an umpire and I would be stepping in as a human being, haven given up my professional duties..