The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Player thrown under the bus........

Don't know what or if anything can be done but thought I would ask if anyone has any thoughts, expierences, ideas.....

Did a 10 and under game this past weekend....I think this could happen on any age group.......good pitcher....threw strikes......catcher small but very good....did a great job sliding to sides to block if needed.......dug outs close.....coach giving signs from inside of dug-out threw fence....no problem there....but with coach so close I can hear every word....I have never had a coach be-little a player so much...every run was her fault.....every bad pitch was because she had called it wrong.....every dropped fly ball was her fault....I mean I really started to feel for this girl. Game over. They lost. I went to the catcher after the game and told her what a good job I thought she had done.

One more thing that I found out....it was the coach's daughter.

Anyone run into this ?
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
One more thing that I found out....it was the coach's daughter.

Anyone run into this ?
Anyone NOT run into this???
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Before I even got half-way through that post, I was thinking, "Probably the coach's daughter".

I've seen some coaches really drop the hammer on their own players, even kids as young as ten, bringing them to the point of tears. In my mind, that's not very sportsmanlike behavior. Could anyone ever imagine a scenario where an umpire might step in here, or is that just too big of a stretch of the unsportsmanlike conduct rules to even entertain?
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:

Anyone run into this ?
Only when awake or at a game.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
too big of a stretch of the unsportsmanlike conduct rules to even entertain?
Yep.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

I posted on here a few years back about an 18U coach.

He was calling pitches for the pitcher to throw and she continually was shaking off the catcher and wanting to throw her pitch.

After coach had had enough, he called time and walked out to the circle.

I was BU in C position and heard this loud and clear from the coach to the pitcher:

"If you ever shake off my pitches again, you can just turn in your f*cking uniform right there!"

He didn't yell and I doubt anybody in the stands heard it, but it concerned me. the general consensus on the board at that time was to let it go.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I posted on here a few years back about an 18U coach.

He was calling pitches for the pitcher to throw and she continually was shaking off the catcher and wanting to throw her pitch.

After coach had had enough, he called time and walked out to the circle.

I was BU in C position and heard this loud and clear from the coach to the pitcher:

"If you ever shake off my pitches again, you can just turn in your f*cking uniform right there!"

He didn't yell and I doubt anybody in the stands heard it, but it concerned me. the general consensus on the board at that time was to let it go.
Different age group, actually a D1 game with a couple of not really strong teams. Bases loaded with 2 out and fly to left. F7 camped under ball and it hit he glove & then hit the ground. Tying and lead runs scored with another standing on 3B. DC asks Big Slick for time, gives him a substitution and walks beyond 3B coaching box toward left, waiting for his player to come in after being replaced. Said to her "If you're not going to use the F-ing glove, go put it away." I just moved to my next starting position. We laughed a bit about that on the way home.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

I'm curious as to why people think an umpire should involve themselves in part of the game that does not involve them.
Old Mon Dec 06, 2010, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Before I even got half-way through that post, I was thinking, "Probably the coach's daughter".

I've seen some coaches really drop the hammer on their own players, even kids as young as ten, bringing them to the point of tears. In my mind, that's not very sportsmanlike behavior. Could anyone ever imagine a scenario where an umpire might step in here, or is that just too big of a stretch of the unsportsmanlike conduct rules to even entertain?
I'd step in only if it's abusive.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I'm curious as to why people think an umpire should involve themselves in part of the game that does not involve them.
Absolutely agree.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Only when awake or at a game.

That was what I was thinking.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Does it involve us????

Quote:
When it gets to the point that the comments are so abusive and counter productive that it effects the mental / physical ability for the player to play (catcher....protecting home umpire) and or function is a safe manner it does effect the people you may speak of it not involving.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

So that brings up the question...

What do you do when, in your opinion, a coach's behavior is abusive towards a player? I'm not concerning myself with adults here, as adults are free to come and go as they please. Minors, on the other hand, do not have the same voice that we do.

The ASA Safety Awareness Guide does make it very clear that ASA has a "zero tolerance" policy towards abuse, and they specifically mention umpires as being a part of the process.

If it's physical abuse (ie., hitting/striking the player), I think it's safe to say we should intervene. In that case, ejection is more than warranted. But what would you do if the coach is being verbally abusive? Where do you draw the line, and how do you handle it?

Bear in mind that the same Safety Awareness Guide also makes frequent reference to emotional/psychological abuse right alongside with physical abuse.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When it gets to the point that the comments are so abusive and counter productive that it effects the mental / physical ability for the player to play (catcher....protecting home umpire) and or function is a safe manner it does effect the people you may speak of it not involving.
As an umpire, unless legally authorized to act in loco parentis, it is none of your business.

There are plenty of parents and other adults associated with the team, if you interject yourself into the situation it can turn bad real quick.

I understand you are trying to do good here, but such interference can turn bad in a heartbeat and it just isn't worth it.
Old Tue Dec 07, 2010, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As an umpire, unless legally authorized to act in loco parentis, it is none of your business.

There are plenty of parents and other adults associated with the team, if you interject yourself into the situation it can turn bad real quick.

I understand you are trying to do good here, but such interference can turn bad in a heartbeat and it just isn't worth it.
Basically, I agree with IRISHMAFIA.

Oh I suppose there may be a line that would be so agregious that I would step in, but if that was the case it would be way beyond my duties as an umpire and I would be stepping in as a human being, haven given up my professional duties..