The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Obstruction question

So the other thread got me to find a rule book, and not having mine I found one online. In the list of exceptions for obstruction, I was expecting to see passes another runner, and it appears in this I was mistaken. So if an obstructed runner passes another runner is the ball dead or alive with an out or just alive with the runners in the wrong order. [The last surely can't be right]
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
So the other thread got me to find a rule book, and not having mine I found one online. In the list of exceptions for obstruction, I was expecting to see passes another runner, and it appears in this I was mistaken. So if an obstructed runner passes another runner is the ball dead or alive with an out or just alive with the runners in the wrong order. [The last surely can't be right]
I'd be hard-pressed to find a plausible example in which a hindered runner somehow passes another runner. Though anything's possible, I suppose, so let's tackle it anyway...

If we're talking ASA, look at 8-5-B-1 Exception c. Also look at Rules Supplement #36.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, you're right it's there guess I was half asleep when I read it this morning.
________
WASHINGTON MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:29pm.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

The obstructed runner cannot be TAGGED (or forced) out between the bases where she was obstructed. Doesn't mean she can't be out. Passing a runner or missing a base come to mind. Intentional INT as well.

I've never seen it, but it came up at a game with one of my umpires and discussed in meeting. R1 on 3rd, BR hits an obvious triple, possible ITPHR, and is obstructed by F3 just standing there watching the play. Unfortunately, R1 hurt something and was crumpled in a ball near where F4 would play. Only PU saw this. BU had gone into the holding area, and didn't notice missing R1 at first. BR passed R1. PU called her out. Got messy when the fielders threw to 2nd, BU called out on the (no longer in effect) force, defense left the field, offensive coaches hurried on to check the runner. Then later asked about the non-force and the lack of an actual tag.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
The obstructed runner cannot be TAGGED (or forced) out between the bases where she was obstructed. Doesn't mean she can't be out. Passing a runner or missing a base come to mind. Intentional INT as well.

I've never seen it, but it came up at a game with one of my umpires and discussed in meeting. R1 on 3rd, BR hits an obvious triple, possible ITPHR, and is obstructed by F3 just standing there watching the play. Unfortunately, R1 hurt something and was crumpled in a ball near where F4 would play. Only PU saw this. BU had gone into the holding area, and didn't notice missing R1 at first. BR passed R1. PU called her out. Got messy when the fielders threw to 2nd, BU called out on the (no longer in effect) force, defense left the field, offensive coaches hurried on to check the runner. Then later asked about the non-force and the lack of an actual tag.
Mike, I'm in the middle of a food coma after lunch, but I'm a bit confused... "Intentional INT?" I don't recall the exception making any statement that required the INT to be intentional...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Mike, I'm in the middle of a food coma after lunch, but I'm a bit confused... "Intentional INT?" I don't recall the exception making any statement that required the INT to be intentional...
I couldn't think of an example where interfering unintentionally after OBS could be an out for interference, and I felt that if I just said Interference, it would spark an unintended argument.

can you think of one?

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I couldn't think of an example where interfering unintentionally after OBS could be an out for interference, and I felt that if I just said Interference, it would spark an unintended argument.

can you think of one?
Sure. R1 on 1B, F4's set up in the base line. B2 hits a sharp grounder to F6. R1 bumps into F4. R1, thinking they're about to be retired, turns into the diamond to go to their dugout on the 3B side. F6, in all their infinite wisdom, decides to throw to 1B instead of tagging 2B. The throw hits R1.

I'd call that one. It's not intentional, but it's definitely INT, superseding the OBS call.

Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Sure. R1 on 1B, F4's set up in the base line. B2 hits a sharp grounder to F6. R1 bumps into F4. R1, thinking they're about to be retired, turns into the diamond to go to their dugout on the 3B side. F6, in all their infinite wisdom, decides to throw to 1B instead of tagging 2B. The throw hits R1.

I'd call that one. It's not intentional, but it's definitely INT, superseding the OBS call.
I see where you're going, and I guess there could be a case where INT happens after OBS ... and I didn't mean to exclude that.

That said (and at the risk of throwing this thread off track), I'm not sure that's INT.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 18, 2010, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I see where you're going, and I guess there could be a case where INT happens after OBS ... and I didn't mean to exclude that.

That said (and at the risk of throwing this thread off track), I'm not sure that's INT.
Okay, she turns her back to 2B, hops up and down, pissed off at herself. The throw bonks her on the head.

How's that?