The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Obstruction question (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/58865-obstruction-question.html)

youngump Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:38am

Obstruction question

So the other thread got me to find a rule book, and not having mine I found one online. In the list of exceptions for obstruction, I was expecting to see passes another runner, and it appears in this I was mistaken. So if an obstructed runner passes another runner is the ball dead or alive with an out or just alive with the runners in the wrong order. [The last surely can't be right]

NCASAUmp Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 689071)
So the other thread got me to find a rule book, and not having mine I found one online. In the list of exceptions for obstruction, I was expecting to see passes another runner, and it appears in this I was mistaken. So if an obstructed runner passes another runner is the ball dead or alive with an out or just alive with the runners in the wrong order. [The last surely can't be right]

I'd be hard-pressed to find a plausible example in which a hindered runner somehow passes another runner. Though anything's possible, I suppose, so let's tackle it anyway...

If we're talking ASA, look at 8-5-B-1 Exception c. Also look at Rules Supplement #36.

youngump Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:06pm

Yeah, you're right it's there guess I was half asleep when I read it this morning.
________
WASHINGTON MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

MD Longhorn Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:10pm

The obstructed runner cannot be TAGGED (or forced) out between the bases where she was obstructed. Doesn't mean she can't be out. Passing a runner or missing a base come to mind. Intentional INT as well.

I've never seen it, but it came up at a game with one of my umpires and discussed in meeting. R1 on 3rd, BR hits an obvious triple, possible ITPHR, and is obstructed by F3 just standing there watching the play. Unfortunately, R1 hurt something and was crumpled in a ball near where F4 would play. Only PU saw this. BU had gone into the holding area, and didn't notice missing R1 at first. BR passed R1. PU called her out. Got messy when the fielders threw to 2nd, BU called out on the (no longer in effect) force, defense left the field, offensive coaches hurried on to check the runner. Then later asked about the non-force and the lack of an actual tag.

NCASAUmp Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 689088)
The obstructed runner cannot be TAGGED (or forced) out between the bases where she was obstructed. Doesn't mean she can't be out. Passing a runner or missing a base come to mind. Intentional INT as well.

I've never seen it, but it came up at a game with one of my umpires and discussed in meeting. R1 on 3rd, BR hits an obvious triple, possible ITPHR, and is obstructed by F3 just standing there watching the play. Unfortunately, R1 hurt something and was crumpled in a ball near where F4 would play. Only PU saw this. BU had gone into the holding area, and didn't notice missing R1 at first. BR passed R1. PU called her out. Got messy when the fielders threw to 2nd, BU called out on the (no longer in effect) force, defense left the field, offensive coaches hurried on to check the runner. Then later asked about the non-force and the lack of an actual tag.

Mike, I'm in the middle of a food coma after lunch, but I'm a bit confused... "Intentional INT?" I don't recall the exception making any statement that required the INT to be intentional...

MD Longhorn Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 689091)
Mike, I'm in the middle of a food coma after lunch, but I'm a bit confused... "Intentional INT?" I don't recall the exception making any statement that required the INT to be intentional...

I couldn't think of an example where interfering unintentionally after OBS could be an out for interference, and I felt that if I just said Interference, it would spark an unintended argument.

can you think of one?

NCASAUmp Wed Aug 18, 2010 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 689097)
I couldn't think of an example where interfering unintentionally after OBS could be an out for interference, and I felt that if I just said Interference, it would spark an unintended argument.

can you think of one?

Sure. R1 on 1B, F4's set up in the base line. B2 hits a sharp grounder to F6. R1 bumps into F4. R1, thinking they're about to be retired, turns into the diamond to go to their dugout on the 3B side. F6, in all their infinite wisdom, decides to throw to 1B instead of tagging 2B. The throw hits R1.

I'd call that one. It's not intentional, but it's definitely INT, superseding the OBS call.

MD Longhorn Wed Aug 18, 2010 03:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 689115)
Sure. R1 on 1B, F4's set up in the base line. B2 hits a sharp grounder to F6. R1 bumps into F4. R1, thinking they're about to be retired, turns into the diamond to go to their dugout on the 3B side. F6, in all their infinite wisdom, decides to throw to 1B instead of tagging 2B. The throw hits R1.

I'd call that one. It's not intentional, but it's definitely INT, superseding the OBS call.

I see where you're going, and I guess there could be a case where INT happens after OBS ... and I didn't mean to exclude that.

That said (and at the risk of throwing this thread off track), I'm not sure that's INT.

NCASAUmp Wed Aug 18, 2010 03:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 689120)
I see where you're going, and I guess there could be a case where INT happens after OBS ... and I didn't mean to exclude that.

That said (and at the risk of throwing this thread off track), I'm not sure that's INT.

Okay, she turns her back to 2B, hops up and down, pissed off at herself. The throw bonks her on the head.

How's that? ;)