The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Excellent Sunday of Softball

After Saturday was rained out, had a great day of Softball on Sunday. Usually I have SOMEthing to post here ... an umpire telling me the hands are part of the bat, a coach making some crazy comment. But not today. Coaches were knowledgeable. Fans were not beligerent even on close ones. Umpiring partners were excellent.

Did have one anomaly. I don't think I've called obstruction on a stolen base where the runner was actually tagged before reaching the base more than 2-3 times in 12 years. Had it twice yesterday - once by partner at home, once by me at 2nd. Both times the throw took the fielder further up the baseline, causing runner to slow and slide early, and in both cases contact the fielder, stop and not make it to the base - and in both cases the fielder still caught the ball, and tagged the now motionless runner. And on both, the coaches came out, briefly questioned, and sat back down with no issue.

Oh, and to reference a recent discussion... one of my partners was one of those very experienced (both in years and knowledge) guys --- told me at our pregame to remember to inform the pitcher what the situation was on a pitching change. I referred to our discussion, he disagreed, so I did it for that game. Discussed it with the assignor/UIC during my break and got the general "Don't do that - it's considered coaching," consensus from both her and the other guys on the same break schedule. Had the chance to let him know how that conversation went during a later game.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I referred to our discussion, ...

FWIW:

I learned quite a while ago that referring to internet discussion boards doesn't carry much weight when having esoteric discussions.

Also, FWIW, I did find myself in a situation this weekend where I was BU (in B) and a pitching change was made.

PU goes to the fence and gets water, talks to spectators gets more water as I dutifully count pitches.
PU turns around and I shopw him "FIVE".... He stands there as pitcher throw FOUR more warm ups! He then gives me the "You or me" hand gestures.......
I look at him but "have know idea what he wants" (Kind of the same way I don't hear comments from spectators)... He goes to F1 and holding up his hands one at a time gives her the count, then turns her and points to each base showing her where the runners are. THEN goes back to the plate, announces the outs and the count!

Oh well - It is a pet peeve of mine, but .......
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
Oh well - It is a pet peeve of mine, but .......
When this came up around the tree, someone brought up a point not mentioned here that seemed relevant to me.

The coach (well, most of them) talk to their players when they make the sub. THEY know what they want to tell the pitcher. It's entirely possible that this pitcher is worse under pressure, and coach doesn't WANT the kid to worry about who's on base, how many outs, etc. What it boils down to is ... telling the pitcher ANYTHING is the coach's job. Not ours.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
PU goes to the fence and gets water, talks to spectators gets more water as I dutifully count pitches.
PU turns around and I shopw him "FIVE".... He stands there ..
At that point, I announce to all (irrespective of being the BU) "That FIVE; let's play ladies!!", and trot back to my position.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2010, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
At that point, I announce to all (irrespective of being the BU) "That FIVE; let's play ladies!!", and trot back to my position.
That thought crossed my mind, but because of some other issues, I thought it would be inappropriate.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
... one of my partners was one of those very experienced (both in years and knowledge) guys --- told me at our pregame to remember to inform the pitcher what the situation was on a pitching change.
Maybe years, but sounds more like personal habits than knowledge of what's fairly consistently taught. Why would he care if you informed the pitcher or not? Did he want you to inform pinch runners of the game situation as well?
Old Tue Jul 13, 2010, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

I had a PerFECT championship game sunday.

Team A - an 18G team qualified for Gold nats

vs

Team B - A red hot little 14U A- team that qualified so far for 14U - A USA Nats and 16U premier championship.

Team A was unavailable for the game .. due to travel reasons .. or something.. .. and I got to go home early.

It was hot, would have been my 11th Game of the weekend, the time limit was longer 1:40 not 1:20 .. and it was music to my ears..

Although.. truth be told, i think I would have enjoyed that matchup that definately had upset potential, and really like both coaches and surely would have had fun.... but I more enjoyed getting my but in my truck and going home... with full pay of course.

It was sweet.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Tue Jul 13, 2010 at 07:41pm.