The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 21, 2010, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDblue View Post
A couple of weeks ago, while in Orlando, FL, I tried a local brew called Blonde Ale from Orlando Brewing that was very good. Also, I had a very good beer out of PA called Yuengling that was an excellent beer. Can't find them here so I usually go for Landshark or Blue Moon.
Yuengling is an acceptable lager. I have never had the Blonde Ale from Orlando Brewing.

Now, judging from your beer tastes, let's challenge them just a bit. If you like a good lager, look for Sierra Nevada's SummerFest at your local purveyor of beers. There should still be some left on shelves, though its time for distribution should be just about done. Anyway, this is a very good lager, and it is widely distributed. Another widely distributed lager that is good is Longboard Lager from Kona Brewing. Other good examples of lagers include Birra Peroni and Birra Moretti from Italy, both very crisp and clean examples of the style.

If you like wheat beers, such as Blue Moon, then I would suggest branching out there, as well. Kona's Wailua Wheat is very good. Shiner's Hefeweizen appeals to many people, though it is only a mild example of the style. (Maybe the mildness is the reason for the broad appeal. Also, while I am not a big fan of Shiner's brews, I have found they make a good stepping stone to real beer.) Pyramid Brewing makes a Hefe that is far closer to the true style, and it is also fairly widely distributed.

Blonde Ales tend to be takes on English Style Pale Ales. Sadly, the grand daddy of this style, Whitbread's, is no longer being brewed. Red Hook makes a good Blonde Ale. Here is a pretty extensive list of them. Bass, Smuttynose, Old Speckled Hen, Sam Smith's, and 1066 tend to be available in many parts of the US. If you decide to play around with some of these, and can find Red Hook products in your area, give Red Hook's ESB a try. If you like that one, then look for Fuller's ESB. Now, THAT is a real taste treat.

If you really like your lagers, then why not give some pilsners a try. The best of these, IMO, is Victory Brewing's Prima Pils. Wow! Easier to find, though, in most parts of the country, are the two Czech brews, Pilsner Urquell and Czechvar. Both very good.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.

Last edited by Skahtboi; Mon Jun 21, 2010 at 09:31am.
Old Mon Jun 21, 2010, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUchem View Post
Ah yes, Yuengling. It really is a good lager, and is my go-to when at the bar. I far prefer anything from Ommegang or Unibroue, though. I'll take an Abbey anyday.
"I don't drink beer often, but when I do...."
Old Mon Jun 21, 2010, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Yuengling is an acceptable lager.
Sierra Nevada's SummerFest
Birra Peroni and Birra Moretti from Italy,
English Style Pale Ales. Bass,
Pilsner Urquell (in Bratislava) .
I'm no student of the styles and locales, but I left in those I've tried and like.
Old Mon Jun 21, 2010, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Back to pet peeves:
- partners who never look at me
- spectators who throw out-of-play balls into the field
- umpires who talk with coaches about a partner's call
Old Mon Jun 21, 2010, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan View Post
"I don't drink beer often, but when I do...."
Finish that sentence, and I'd prefer to stay thirsty.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jun 21, 2010, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Yuengling is an acceptable lager. I have never had the Blonde Ale from Orlando Brewing.

Now, judging from your beer tastes, let's challenge them just a bit. If you like a good lager, look for Sierra Nevada's SummerFest at your local purveyor of beers. There should still be some left on shelves, though its time for distribution should be just about done. Anyway, this is a very good lager, and it is widely distributed.
As a general rule, SN has a big bite at the end. Sometimes that is good, sometimes not so.

Quote:
Another widely distributed lager that is good is Longboard Lager from Kona Brewing. Other good examples of lagers include Birra Peroni and Birra Moretti from Italy, both very crisp and clean examples of the style.
Eeehhh., okay, but NBD.

Quote:
If you like wheat beers, such as Blue Moon, then I would suggest branching out there, as well. Kona's Wailua Wheat is very good. Shiner's Hefeweizen appeals to many people, though it is only a mild example of the style. (Maybe the mildness is the reason for the broad appeal. Also, while I am not a big fan of Shiner's brews, I have found they make a good stepping stone to real beer.) Pyramid Brewing makes a Hefe that is far closer to the true style, and it is also fairly widely distributed.
Have yet to find a wheat of "hefe" worth the cost of the plastic Dixie cup it may come in,

Quote:
Blonde Ales tend to be takes on English Style Pale Ales. Sadly, the grand daddy of this style, Whitbread's, is no longer being brewed. Red Hook
Quote:
(an AB product)
makes a good Blonde Ale. Here is a pretty extensive list of them. Bass, Smuttynose, Old Speckled Hen, Sam Smith's, and 1066 tend to be available in many parts of the US. If you decide to play around with some of these, and can find Red Hook products in your area, give Red Hook's ESB a try. If you like that one, then look for Fuller's ESB. Now, THAT is a real taste treat.
You need to move around more. How can you compare Bass and Sam Smith with Smuttynose and OSH? Not even in the same farmyard let alone barn.[/quote]

Quote:
If you really like your lagers, then why not give some pilsners a try. The best of these, IMO, is Victory Brewing's Prima Pils. Wow! Easier to find, though, in most parts of the country, are the two Czech brews, Pilsner Urquell and Czechvar. Both very good.
Victory, out of Downingtown, PA. Not bad, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

Had two real good brews last night, Brazilian. Xingu (black beer) and Prima Louca (pilsner). Both were worth the try.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

I always have two things in my garage refrigerator: Bottles of Bass Ale and cans of Guinness Draught.

The pint glasses live in the freezer, the Black and Tan spoon hangs next to the sink.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary View Post
I always have two things in my garage refrigerator: Bottles of Bass Ale and cans of Guinness Draught.

The pint glasses live in the freezer, the Black and Tan spoon hangs next to the sink.
Why would you kill a good beer with frosted glasses?

Chilled glasses from a reefer, okay. Frosted from a freezer? You're better off drinking a Jersey Turnpike.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary View Post
...cans of Guinness Draught...
Oxymoron, anyone?
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Oxymoron, anyone?
I have some... no more an oxymoron anymore than bottles or cans of Miller Geniune Draft.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 09:28am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Oxymoron, anyone?
Well it isn't that much of one for Guinness since the cans have those widgets in them. Maybe not draught in the truest sense of the word but it works for me.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I have some... no more an oxymoron anymore than bottles or cans of Miller Geniune Draft.
Yeah, right...
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Well it isn't that much of one for Guinness since the cans have those widgets in them. Maybe not draught in the truest sense of the word but it works for me.
Try selling that as "draught" to the
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 10:16am
Archaic Power Monger

I'm just not enough of a beer purist to care honestly.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2010, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Try selling that as "draught" to the
England's full of lunatics. They call 'em "eccentrics" over there.